Anne Heche: Actress, lost soul, burn victim [Update: She has passed]

I’ve always thought that Anne is absolutely beautiful. Striking blue eyes in particular.

The way I say it is critically stable. As in stable for this moment, could go critical or really bad any second.

Reporting is 30 minutes. There could be lung damage as well as burns.

The shop owner says she didn’t act drunk.

The hospital where they took her released her 2 hrs later. She admitted to taking the hallucinogenic drug Ecstasy. So based on the hospital’s lack of immediate concern I would guess her status as god was in pill form and wore off.

Actually, it is.

“Basic laboratory studies should be obtained in patients with severe burns or concomitant trauma, including a complete blood count, type and crossmatch, chemistries, coagulation profiles, arterial blood gas measurement, and a pregnancy test, when appropriate. All patients with thermal burns should have arterial or venous blood sent for measurement of the carboxyhemoglobin level to evaluate for carbon monoxide poisoning.”

I don’t know what the legal ramifications are in doing a BAC and drug screen in such situations if the results will be made available to the authorities. But reports indicating that blood testing in general was impossible or unwarranted in this particular instance seem to be in error.

This may help with the confusion over stable vs. critical, though it’s not good news:

“…Over the weekend a representative stated that Anne was in stable condition but that information was inaccurate. She has always remained in critical condition, slipping into a coma following the accident,” a spokesperson for Heche told CNN in a statement Monday.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/08/entertainment/anne-heche-woman-car-house/index.html

I have a friend that was severely burned when he was about ten years old. All down his left side, from his face down to his calf. His right arm was burned also from trying to put out the fire.

While his eyes were spared, he had horrific burns around his cheek and mouth area. About once a year he had to go to a special hospital and the would try to basically sand his scar tissue down. He did this until he was in his late twenties before giving up. All those years and all that painful treatment and it didn’t help his scarring at all that I could see. It would be a different color for a couple of weeks, then slowly go back to what he started with. I think it was called debridement, but from a quick google, that may be wrong.

If Heche was in that burning car for as long as some of the articles say, she’s going to be in for some long term pain.

Like @Loach, I’m curious about the cause of the fire in this and the other accident mentioned. I’ve seen a lot of accidents, in real life and the news, and they rarely have fires like these two did. In the video where the six people died, in looks like the fire started on impact.

Strangely enough, I saw two pickups, both white, in the last two weeks that had pulled over to the side of the interstate because the engines caught fire. No accident involved in either one.

Debridement is removal of dead tissue. My experience with that was with a scalpel (no, it wasn’t a burn).

What your friend had sounds like dermabrasion which is…basically what you described, sanding/abrading the top layer of skin.

debridement is the most painful treatment of burns. it is done nearly daily. to say it is agony is an understatement.

Yep. After being hit by a cell-phoner while riding my motorcycle and sliding down Flamingo Blvd, I would up in the Burn Unit. Once a day, rip off the bandages and scrub you down. Worst thing in my life… so far…

Thanks, I got stuck on debride and couldn’t come up with it.

Yes, and he did it for years. His scar tissue was probably something like 1/16 of an inch higher than his unburned skin. All those years and all that pain and he looked exactly the same. I didn’t blame him one bit for giving up, I probably would have quit a lot sooner.

My debridement was a one time thing. The dead tissue was sliced away bit by bit with a razor-sharp scalpel. Dead tissue feels nothing. But they have to get ALL the dead tissue, which means scraping until you reach live tissue. Debridement means cutting/slicing/shaving until you reach flesh that can bleed. Which is flesh that can feel.

I only had to have it done once, on a very small bit of me. Burn victims… a lot more area and a LOT more often…

Did she slip into a coma or was she induced into a coma while intubated?

I’ve seen reports that she lost consciousness on the way to the hospital, in the ambulance, but nothing confirmed and that should be taken with a large lump of salt.

That’s what I’ve seen, too.

There were some overhead views of her on the gurney and at least from the back she didn’t look burned. Her shirt was sooty looking. No doubt her lungs are a mess.

what was reported to the media:
Sky News: In a statement shared with US media outlet People, her representatives said: "She has a significant pulmonary injury requiring mechanical ventilation and burns that require surgical intervention.

I’ve seen people burned that didn’t look too bad immediately after. The real damage is apparent a short time later.

Yes, this is going to seem to be the weirdest analogy ever, but I am reminded of the bit from Jackass Number Two where Bam Margera got branded on his buttocks. The burns didn’t look too bad in the immediate moment; they then showed what it looked like two days later. Yikes!

There is a GFM for the people who lived in the house.

[Link removed pending mod approval]

A mother of two young children once told me that she’d experienced a small third-degree burn, and the physical therapy she needed afterwards was orders of magnitude more painful than having those kids.