Annoyed Rotten at Dictionary.com

Okay, so I was looking up “rotten” at dictionary.com and here are the definitions it gave:

Okay, I think that last one is WRONG! You would NEVER use “rotten” meaning “to a great degree.” In the case of “spoiled rotten,” it doesn’t mean “to a great degree,” it means “spoiled to the point of decay or wretchedness.”
You wouln’t say “She is beautiful rotten” or “It’s windy rotten outside”… would you?

Am I making any sense? This really bugged me.

“Well, I guess this means the fun’s over.” -Gus Mc Crae
“It may be over, but it sure wasn’t fun.” - Woodrow Call

Well, “spoiled rotten” is a pretty common phrase, and may be the only usage of rotten as an adverb rather than an adjective. I think they were just pointing out that it doesn’t have to be an adjective.

Bead, that makes sense, but their definition is still wrong. Even in “spoiled rotten,” the adverb doesn’t mean “to a great degree,” it means “to the point of being foul and weak.”

I think I just repeated myself. I’m sorry. I’m not even a grammar maven, but it just seems wrong.

Ok, I’m going to quote the ultimate authority: Austin Powers.

In the first movie, referencing Lotta Fagina, he said, “I shagged her! I shagged her rotton, baby!”

This is clearly a case of rotton being used an adverb. And I also agree with the dictionary that most people use “rotton” in “spoiled rotton” to mean “to a great degree.”

Austin Powers is my hero.

I abscond.

:slight_smile:

Abscond?

(Back to the dictionary, perhaps?)

Briefly coming out of abscondment:

P.S. I made up “abscondment.”

For what do you think we would prosecute you?

Better to be annoyed rotten at Dictionary.com than to be an annoyed dictionary at rotten.com.

I think they arr referring to a matter of degrees, such as:

That child is somewhat spoiled. (a medium amount of spoilage)

That child is awfully spoiled (spoiled a little more than the Cosby Kids)

That child is terribly spoiled (Martha Stewart’s kids, if she has any)

That child is spoiled rotten! (Leona Helmsley as a child- an extreem degree of spoilage)

I agree with Meg’s original statement (before her absconscion ;)). I’ve never heard rotten outside of the term “spoiled rotten” and I agree that it means spoiled “to the point of being foul and weak.”

I will ignore any usage from a bloody wanker in this thread. :wink:

Just make yourself comfy while I shoot nuclear particles into your heart.
(Courtesy of Wally)