Here are my system stats:
Jetway 867AS Motherboard (Award 6.0 BIOS, VIA VT8333 Chipset)
AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (With Volcano 6cu+ Fan)
1024MB DDRAM PC2100 (512x2)
Riva TNT2 32MB Vid Card
Onboard AC’97 Avance Logic Audio
Linksys WUSB11 USB Wireless Internet Adapter (With Linksys Router on ADSL)
Maxtor 12GB 5400RPM (XP drive)
Western Digital Caviar 80GB
Compaq 8x DVD Drive
Acer 24x12x40 CDRW
Dell 17’’ Flat Panel Monitor
Creative 2.1 Audio
Windows XP Professional Build 2600
Ok, here is the problem. I just installed my new ram, which was an upgrade from 512MB SDRAM. The Jetway mobo supports ddr and sd, so that wasn’t a problem. Booted up fine, no probs. Fast forward to several days later. Computer starts acting odd, with these symptoms:
- Drammatically slower
- Sound starts skipping, and jumping
- XP font is now bold
- After rebooting, during log on, Windows said I need to reactivate.
- I chose to do it over the internet after I completely logged on, but it didn’t detect my USB Wireless adapter. This hardware never got removed during the ram installation process.
- I went to Device Manager to see what the deal was. Device Manager didn’t list ANYTHING. No devices were listed.
- I checked my network connections. No connections present. Not even that “Make New Connection” Icon
- I close out of there, and windows tells me that there has been an error with Explorer.exe. So it has to restart the explorer function. Then it tells me that Iexplore.exe isn’t functioning (it wasn’t ever open).
This is were I am now. I just turned the thing off and haven’t touched it. I am under the opinion that Windows has been corrupted in some form or another. I plan to save all necessary files and do a clean, fresh install.
This is a last ditch effort to see if anyone might have any ideas…
I also posted this at SysOpt.com, but who knows, maybe a Doper could help…