Another "identify this cartoon" thread

I’m not much into cartoons, but I saw one a couple years ago that was very funny. I believe it was an independent production, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it was about a guy living alone with a cat. He hates this cat, and tries everything he can think of to get rid of this !@#$ feline. While the visuals were quite humorous, the funniest thing about the cartoon was the music. It was a couple of guys singing a song, and the chorus went like this:

But the cat came back, the very next day
Oh the cat came back, he thought it was a gon’er,
But the cat came back, the very next day
Oh the cat came back, he thought it was a gon’er.

To this day, I can’t get the song out of my head!
Anyone know what this cartoon is called?

Dammit! The thread title was Another “identify this cartoon” post, but it just posted Another. Guess it didn’t like the quotes.

Quotes are such persnickity things.

Actually, the name of the cartoon is “The Cat Came Back” It was produced in Canada. Back in 1999 the Cartoon Network showed what they called “The Fifty Greatest Cartoons of the Millenium” and this one came in at #5. I have them on tape and I LOVE that one!

It’s called “The Cat Came Back,” and it’s Canadian. You can catch it on a pretty regular basis on the Cartoon Network, on a show they have called “Oh Canada!”

Hope that helped!

[sub]Persephone, who really shouldn’t know that much about cartoons…[/sub]

Oooh! I love a good simulpost! :smiley:

As a matter of fact, this cartoon actually was aired on “Oh, Canada!” last Sunday/Monday.

O.K. So how do I get a hold of this cartoon? Is it on a “greatest cartoons” video or something? I poked around cartoonnetwork.com, but didn’t find anything.

You can also find a very good rendition of this in an episode of “The Muppet Show” I think back around 79.

If it helps, the cartoon was produced by the National Film Board of Canada, who, from what I’ve heard, produces good cartoons.

The IMDb says it’s in 2 currently available VHS collections and 1 DVD.

One of the VHS collections is “Leonard Maltin’s Animation Favorites From The National Film Board Of Canada”, which is an excellect collection and I recommend it highly. You might be able to rent this.

The DVD is “The World’s Greatest Animation” and looks very good too. One Amazon reviewer says it contains the following:

Lots of good stuff there.

The cartoon is by Cordell Barker, an animator/filmmaker from the Winnipeg group (including Richard Condie and Brad Caslor, among many others). Their cartoons are wonderful, and you’ve probably seen a lot more of them. They influenced each other, so many of them have a similar look.

You can check out the National Film Board of Canada web page to look for more of their work. They have a very comprehensive list of the different directors and titles produced by the NFB. They also have an excellent shop selling tapes and some DVD’s. I’m a big fan of a lot of the NFB filmmakers (animators and otherwise). Arthur Lipsett and Norman McLaren are two experimental filmmakers that I would definitely recommend. Also, any of the Winnipeg animators, obviously. There are many more, but my list would be too long.
Here’s the page from the NFB shop that has collections of animation for kids and family (numerous of them including The Cat Came Back).

Bill Plympton is a seriously warped man. Has anyone seen his full-length movie The Lobe? Gory and strange.

Nope, but I think I’ve seen something as freaky by Plympton on Cinemax, I Married a Strange Person. It defies description.

Actually, Plympton’s done a lot of strange and occasionally wonderful stuff. There were his short films on sex and on how to stop smoking, and a whole lot of really short shorts which occasionally appear as filler on PBS and elsewhere (my absolute favorite of which was his Car Alarm). Even his Microsoft ads weren’t too bad, considering.