Another jab at the anti-smoking cabal. This time with a twist. No immediate attacks, no name calling, just looking for an explanation to this sales pitch. Placing this in the Pit so I can come back and spit vitriol if the mood strikes me. ![]()
I’ll skip over the mention of Bingo halls, and will gladly provide cites about the serious hurt charities are suffering dueto the smoking ban in place for just over a year. Actually, that’s a Pit thread in itself. For now, I’m just hoping someone can explain this logic.
In today’s edition of the daily fishwrap, there’s an op-ed piece written by 2 doctors about making the ban universal.
They’re members of one of a hundred tobacco groups, so I expect them to attempt to make a case for banning smoking everywhere, whether the businesses want to go smoke-free or not. That’s understandable, they don’t care about choice, they’re going to save us from ourselves. Commendable, I guess.
Here’s where they lose me.
So after the ban, restaurant/bar business gained a net increase of 12%. Pretty good, huh?I don’t know many shopkeepers that would scoff at a 12% increase in business over 1 year. We should all be so lucky.
But they continue.
Level the economic playing field? What the fuck does that mean? You just pointed out how economically beneficial the ban is. This can only mean those places that still allow smoking are too damn dumb to realize the cash they’re losing and need you to step in and “correct” them.
Some of these people have become such caricatures that even I can’t find reason in it. And that’s saying a fucking lot.
So what is the point of the cited argument? They say smoking bans are economically wise, but the playing field is unfair unless every business is smoke-free.