Another Teacher Rides the Incredibly Stupid Train

Wait, what? You’re the the Queen of Lubricants™ and you don’t know what to do with a bucket of crude? For shame.:cool:

The Queen only deals with refined products. Crude is for peasants and democrats.

Here ya go. XKCD.

I’m sure it can be adapted to SDMB

I’d like to teach a sex ed. class to kids through rape

“Now boys, once you drug your date, remember to use a condom, because as we all know, fucking a girl while she’s passed out with a condom prevents 99% of preganancies. Plus, there’s less evidence on her”

Fucking Alabama

Poe’s Law strikes again! (In reverse. Which is arguably even worse.)

The Coen Brothers are doing a sequel to Raising Arizona?! :slight_smile:

Democrats? :dubious: :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t get it. Is there information I’m missing? I don’t see the big deal. It strikes me as an attention-grabbing way to teach angles. Was this type of thing a pattern with this teacher?

You can type the same text in Microsoft Word and any word misspelled will be underlined in red – defining “misspelled” as “not appearing in the program’s lexicon.” But it won’t catch, say, a homophonic substitution, such as “their” when you meant to write “there” or “they’re,” where the incorrect word is, itself, in the lexicon.

Geometry teacher who used Obama assassination to teach angles placed on leave

Any webbrowser can handle this automatically. All of them but Internet Explorer come with it. To get it in Internet Explorer, install IE7Pro (despite the name, it works on IE8, as well.)

ETA: a suggestion for any spell checker: remove any words you don’t normally use that are similar to words you do. For example, wont and cant are something I don’t use. And if you type the word public all the time, you may want to remove pubic.

There are many things that a teacher might do to get the students’ attention that are still unethical. This teachers method was one of them. You simply don’t suggest assasination of the President of the United States as an option in a public school classroom. The teacher should have been educated well enough to know that. He should also have known that he would be investigated by government officials.

It is “professionals” like this who make the rest of us roll our eyes. Bring back the National Teachers Exam! IIRC it does test for appropriateness of methods and materials.

As for “fucking Alabama,” I don’t know how some of you would get along there. The OP talked about the misconduct of one person and some of you, strangely enough, have targeted the entire class with your desire for sexual violence or you’ve blamed the entire state for something unmentioned and apparently unconnected to the OP.

The city with the highest number of Ph.D.s per capita is in Alabama. That’s where you will find the most engineers per capita too.

They’d fit in well with what they consider the stereotype, as judging an entire state is no less prejudice than judging an entire race or people of a certain sexual preference.

Huntsville, right?

As you full well know - ridiculous false equivalance

No.

Greenbow, Alabama. Forrest Gump finally finished his lawn engineer degree and sent the towns stats through the roof :slight_smile:

Reading things like that just makes my head hurt and makes me despair for our country.

That is utter, insulting bullshit. Race or orientation (preference doesn’t come into it) are part of who a person is; it’s beyond choice and comes before behavior. Political choices are pure behavior. There’s zero parallel.

And while it’s not some mystical geographical phenomenon that zaps the brain of everyone who enters Talibama and makes them retarded, there is definitely a culture–a system of behavioral choices held in common by a group of people–of racism and stupidity that happens to coincide with that geographic location.

People choose to live there. Certainly they choose to stay there. They make the behavioral choices that represent their views to the rest of the world. Noting that those choices are often racist and retarded is not anywhere NEAR the kind of irrational prejudice displayed by racists or homophobes.

Kinda like the “hood” huh?

The second article says he was riffing off a comment a student made. Stupid, but not pre-meditatively stupid - just ‘uh-oh, shouldn’t have gone there.’ It isn’t like he worked up an assassination lesson plan.