Another thread overanalyzing pop songs

I’m combining two songs into one thread this time.

“Kiss Me Deadly” by Lita Ford

Okay, I know it was a classic film noir but how does the expression “kiss me deadly” apply in this song? How exactly is the guy (or girl - no judgement) supposed to be kissing Lita in a manner that can be described as deadly?

And what does the line about “Looking in the mirror don’t get it for me” mean? Is looking in a mirror something people do for entertainment?

“Bad to the Bone” by George Thorogood

George is saying “I wanna be yours pretty baby. Yours and yours alone.” so this implies he’s giving up his womanizing ways and planning on settling down. But he also says he will break a thousand more hearts in the future.

So is this song supposed to be a warning? Is George telling this woman, who he supposedly cares for, that he will end up hurting her so she should probably stay away from him?

lol you need this guy

Just to do you one better and overanalyze your overanalyzation: I take that as the guy being such a ladykiller that he can openly brag about all the hearts he’s broken and will break in the future, yet can still say to a girl “but YOU, and only you, I will love forever!” and have her believe it. Yeah, the warning signs are all there, but she’ll buy it.

That’s how I take it too. The line “I wanna be yours pretty baby. Yours and yours alone” is him demonstrating how he reels them in. It’s almost mocking.

As to the Lita Ford song (which is a fun one I’d totally forgotten about), I think it’s just a cool turn of phrase. Her image is that of a badass and it’s a fitting way of saying “kiss me passionately”. At least that’s my guess.

How could the jailbreak - scheduled for later tonight “somewhere in this town” - be taking place anywhere else but the jail?

They had a iPhone?:slight_smile:

Thin Lizzy was ahead of their time,

Agreed. The title phrase comes as the topper to a progression: Kiss me once. Kiss me twice. Come on pretty baby kiss me deadly. She’s bored, there’s nothing to do. She wants some passion in her life.

Interesting twist - who says the lyrics are about a guy? When was the last time a female referred to a random guy as “pretty baby?” Does give the lyrics a different spin.

I also agree on the George Thorogood interpretation that he is a terminal horn-dog, but he’ll convince each woman that he’s “hers and hers alone.” Until the next one comes along.

I was accused of overthinking pop songs when I came up with this theory a few years ago - Ric Ocasek is Jessie and Rick Springfield’s “Jessie’s Girl” is a prequel to The Cars’ “My Best Friend’s Girl”.

Nothing to eat and no T.V.
Looking in the mirror don’t get it for me uh-huh
It ain’t no big thing

Lita’s so bored she’s got nothing to do but look at herself in the mirror, and it’s just not that entertaining.

Fun theory, but “Jessie’s Girl” was released in 1981 and “My Best Friend’s Girl” in 1977.

Aren’t prequels usually released later?

True. I guess I didn’t think of songs ever having prequels like movies do, but why not.

That’s why you should leave the overthinking and overanalyzing of trivial things to the professional navel-gazers. We dare to dream the pointless minutiae.

Sure, but pretty much everyone knows that staring at yourself in a mirror is boring. But she sang it like it’s the kind of thing people do to be entertained.

I always assumed “the mirror” was a cocaine reference.

If it’s just a line, the fact that George has to say that he wants the girl to be his one and only means he understands he needs to sell himself to her. And if so, telling her that he will move on to other women afterwards is going to kill his chances.

I said it could be a guy or a girl in the OP.

But this raises an interesting point. George and Lisa both address their songs to “pretty baby”. What if they are singing to the same person? Presumably Brooke Shields. Maybe we’re seeing a love triangle being played out here.

Okay, that makes sense.

The question is who is he telling about this jailbreak and why is he telling them about it?

The singer says he can hear the dogs chasing them and realizes some of them will be killed during the pursuit. So I think it’s clear the singer lost his nerve and is snitching out his friends to the guard.

That’s the whole point of the part about “Hiding low looking right to left/If you see us coming I think it’s best/To move away do you hear what I say/From under my breath”. He’s worried his friends will catch him talking to the guard so he’s doing it out of their sight and in a low voice.

I overanalyzed “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” in a similar thread not too long ago; I find it fun so I will do so again now:

“He was in a bind because he was way behind, and he was willing to make a deal”

The devil has quotas? Who’s imposing soul-stealing quotas on the devil??

“I’ll bet a fiddle of gold against your soul”

A fiddle of gold would be extremely impractical. It would probably play terribly and be too heavy to hold up to play for very long. Either give gold in a more conventional form like gold bricks as the prize, or give the best fiddle in the world, the Stradivarius of fiddles (or an actual Stradivarius, because I believe violins and fiddles are basically the same instrument).

“I’ll take your bet, you’re going to regret it”

Who would accept a bet against the devil, since deals with the devil have gone badly for the human in practically all literature and popular entertainment of the past thousand years? The devil is well known to be a trickster. Are there impartial judges at least, or does the devil get to decide who wins? This isn’t properly addressed in the song.

“the devil bowed his head, because he knew that he’d been beat. And he laid that golden fiddle on the ground at Johnny’s feet”

OK, so the contest was not fixed to the devil’s advantage, surprisingly. But who thinks the devil actually won? Johnny’s playing was competent but utterly conventional; the devil’s playing was cool and avant-garde. I think the devil has low self-esteem and short-changed himself.

I’m not sure if this was at all part of the inspiration for the name, but I’ve always associated the song with Uncle Jesse from Full House. Yes, I know the song predates the show by several years :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: