Another XP Question (dell)

I just got a dell computer (ick, i know). Anyway, I want to do a fresh install of XP PRO on it. How do I turn off dell’s softboot crap so I can enter bios? And things haven’t changed much in bios as far as CD booting goes, has it?

Why do you need to access the BIOS to do fresh install of XP?

Dell is one of the best computers on the market. Why ick?

How do I boot from the CD? Simply putting the CD in there and rebooting is not working. BIOS would let me set the boot order (I’ve always prefered CDROM, C, A).

And ick because I’m more of a fan of building my own, but the price i got for this one couldn’t be beat. Can’t complain too much though.

Try going into the drive via my computer and finding the setup.exe file…

and if i want to format C:\ first?

Try making a startup disk.

To create an MS-DOS startup disk
The MS-DOS startup disk you create will allow you to boot into MS-DOS.

Insert a floppy disk into your computer’s floppy drive.
Open My Computer, and then click the floppy disk drive to select it.
On the File menu, point to the name of the floppy drive, and then click Format.
Under Format options, click Create an MS-DOS startup disk.
Click Start.
Important

Creating an MS-DOS startup disk erases all information on the floppy disk.
Notes

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
The MS-DOS startup disk only allows the system to boot into an MS-DOS prompt. The disk contains no additional tools.