Answer this quickly (and hopefully correctly)

Does not compute. If the soda is 5 cents (.05) and the hot dog costs one dollar more (one dollar being an even 1.00), then the total should be 1.05, right? 1.00 + .05 = 1.05.

No, the hot dog is a dollar more, making it 1.05. That’s the hot dog alone. What’s the hot dog PLUS the soda?

:smack:

Now I get it.

Yeah, but where did the other 2 dollars go?

What if I ordered water with my hot dog and the water was free? But the cup was .05 and then I spilled the water on my girfriend and asked for another cup, which they gave to me free?

How much is this girl going to cost me, eventually?

Everything you have and then some eventually.

Your soul.

The bellhop kept it.

i want my two dollars!!!

Verizon math!

The funny thing about this question is this. You can easily jump to an answer that you think is correct. The important part is that you can then very easily CHECK what you think the answer is once you THINK you’ve got it. That a good fraction of smart people never bothered to do the second part doesn’t surprise me in the least. Because they are so used to being right it often doesn’t occur to them to consider they might not be.

Yeah, everything did cost a nickel back then. Even to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you’d say.

Because that is the answer to any math question. It gives me time to think about a better answer.

I’m in the process of editing right now, so this is what my mind did:

A hot dog and a soda cost $1.10. The hot dog is a dollar**,** more than the soda**.** How much is the soda?

Answer: $0.10

Posting before reading the thread. The soda is $0.05.

I got it wrong as well. I take it you got it from here Gangster Octopus?

The conclusion of that article is a bit depressing. "People who were aware of their own biases were not better able to overcome them.”

High school algebra. I’ll take it slow for the math-impaired.

Let S represent the cost of a soda, and H, the cost of a hot dog.

The premise is

S + H = 1.10

and

H = S + 1.00

Substituting H in the first equation,

S + (S+1.00) = 1.10

Reduces to

S + S + 1.00 = 1.10

2S + 1.00 = 1.10

2S = 1.10 - 1.00

2S = .10

S = .10/2

S = .05, so a soda costs a nickel. For you Aussies, that’s a 5-cent piece.[sup]*[/sup]

[sup]*[/sup] I was in Sydney long ago, and the bank teller didn’t understand me when I asked for nickels in change so I could make a phone call. Apparently “nickel” isn’t globally universal for “5-cent piece,” and it wasn’t obvious to this Yank. Stupid foreigners.

You would’ve been totally out of luck if you’d wanted it in quarters.

FYI: invoking high school algebra doesn’t really help clear anything up for the math-impaired. In fact, it usually has the opposite effect. :wink:

Math-“challenged”? Math-“What’s math?”?