Answering a question with another question

Do you find this annoying?

Is this a common problem in your daily life?

Yes, I do.

Really depends on the context. Is the question ‘why do you keep beating your wife’?

I once looked at a hundred threads here in GQ and 40 % of the first replies at that time were questions.

Were they just to get some clarification before answering?

Can’t you give me an example?

Don’t you think you’ll learn more if you come up with one on your own?

Why not?

What’s wrong with questions?
Isn’t that why we’re here?
And who has all the answers?

And why is this happening on a Friday evening? :wink:

How should I know? What am I, Socrates?

What… is your name?
What… is your quest?
What… is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

You don’t know anything, do you?

Are you all aware of the Questions Only thread in the Game Room?

Yes, it’s very annoying in real life. I have a sister who I smack on the arm when she starts in.

You’re not very good at this, are you?

I had a friend who found this annoying, but it doesn’t really bother me.

It’s only annoying when it happens all the time. It’s sometimes necessary.

And I still wonder how many times Socrates didn’t know what he was talking about and just asked genuine questions so that others would have to do the heavy brain lifting.

Why do you ask?

Foul. No rhetoric.

This is what I was thinking, especially at work, though if someone’s asking me to make a decision on something I know little about, I usually start with, “That’s a really good question, and I think it’s extremely important before we move forward. That said, I’m definitely not the expert. What are your thoughts?”

I do that at home sometimes, too, when my kids ask a question I know they know the answer to. For example, my son is looking at something over my shoulder online. He’s asking what it says, even though it’s written simply in words I know he can read easily. If he asks me what it says, I’ll probably ask him, “Do you think you can read that? I’ll bet you can - why don’t you tell me what it says and we can talk about it.”

That said, if it’s done too frequently, it does get super annoying.