Ant-man and the Wasp [possible spoilers past OP]

That’s my only real beef with the plot. According to Wu, Pym was a fugitive because Scott used his suit in Berlin. Why is that Hank’s fault?

Because Hank & Hope had technology that would be covered under the Sokovia accords, but didn’t sign the accords or give up the tech. They probably could have just turned over the tech or signed the accords to avoid jail time, but obviously didn’t want to.

It was a mess of a movie. Who knows what anyone was trying to do.

From the Wikipedia plot overview, it looks like Ant-Man was brought in to help prevent a bunch of cryogenic Winter Soldiers from being released onto the world.

Yeah, it’s vital that they keep the technology available for use.

It’s just vitally important that no one (including van Dynne’s boyfriend) use the technology - particularly not for heroic deeds. :dubious:

That’s what he thought was going to happen. But it was actually a ploy to break up the Avengers.

Of course, the only person with the government who knew the true story is Tony, and we don’t know what he told them.

The turning point was Scott showing up to break them out of prison before they had to put their overly elaborate and risky plan to escape into action. Her gripe with him was that they couldn’t trust him or count on him, and in that they thought they were completely on their own until Scott showed up in a callback to Hank helping him escape in the first film. She mellowed towards him after that scene.

Pretty sure she turned before that.

If I don’t know the difference between Ant Man and Adam Ant, would I be likely to enjoy this movie?I’ve got AMC movie pass and this film is showing in IMAX this week. Can I enjoy it as a popcorn movie or is there too much backstory and I’ll just be confused?

Absolutely, yes. I saw every cool visual bit in the movie before I ever went to the theater.

(Still loved the movie, though.)

I vote for “See it.”

The exposition is pretty simple and handled well. But just in case, here’s all the backstory you need:

Thirty years ago, Michael Douglas developed technology to make things and people shrink. He and his wife, Michelle Pfeiffer, briefly worked for the government as superheroes, but after she shrank down beyond the Point of No Return, he retired and kept the tech secret.

In the first movie, Douglas hired Paul Rudd to do Something Good using the shrink tech.

Later, in one of the Avengers movies, Paul Rudd appears, and it’s revealed that now they can grow things as well as shrink them. Many of the superheroes in that movie got in trouble for some of the stuff they did in it.

That’s always been my thing on Civil War. The algorithm should be simple.

1. There is a controversy.
  2. Captain America is on the opposing side from me.
  3. I should re-evaluate my position.

He’s the one moral certain in this entire mess of a superhero universe.

+1 if Tony Stark is on your side.

Plus, as everyone knows, it’s only the more expensive Hot Wheels cars that have doors that open.

Technically, there was one case when Tony was right and Cap was wrong: the creation of the Vision in Age of Ultron.

I liked this. I would like to see some video shorts of Luis telling stories of the rest of the MCU.

I enjoyed it. Some thoughts:

Hope used to hide in a wardrobe as a girl, and used the name Susan as an alias. Somebody was a C.S. Lewis fan as a kid.

When the Ghost complained of being weaponized, I thought of the exchange in The Avengers in which Bruce asks Natasha about the little girl who’s tricked him into meeting her. “They start that young?”
“I did.”

Does anybody know if Scott got a better desk at the end? My husband says he thought he saw one.

Can the Ghost still phase? She apparently needs quantum energy to stay whole, and probably it’s a bad idea for her to try it. However, I remember one version of Yellowjacket who swooped in to save a child in danger. If (50% chance) she’s still alive, I could see her trying to save people to make up for her past.

Did not pick up the CS Lewis reference. Nice catch.

I’d like to see more of Ghost. She did bad things but she was dying a painful death and was desperate. There’d be a good redemption arc for her. Maybe she can help undo the snappening.

I remember reading an issue of “What if?” back in the day with the title: “What if the Avengers Had Formed in the 1950s?”. I featured characters Atlas published in the 50s. Marvel Boy and Venus had their own short-lived titles in the early 50s. 3-D Man was a character created in the 70s but his stories were set in the 50s. And there were two characters taken from the the monster/sci-fi comics Atlas was doing in the late 50s: a clanky 50s-style robot and a guy trapped in a gorilla’s body. (Hank Pym himself first appeared in one of those stories as "The Man in the Ant-Hill).

Of course, the team’s driving impetus was Jimmy Woo, who recruited the team to AVENGE the crimes of the Yellow Claw.

One thing to add - in the first movie, Paul Rudd also shrank past the Point of No Return, but Returned anyway.

Saw it over the weekend, and enjoyed it. I liked (which I didn’t think I would) the “and the Wasp” part - she was a strong, separate character, but capable of being the co-star rather than the Star, or eye candy.

The last scene, after the credits - spoiler, because why not Ant-Man was going into the quantum zone to get healing energy - I assume for the Ghost. So she must still need more energy to stop phasing, and the zap Mrs. Pym gave her must be a stop-gap measure. And everyone got disintegrated because Thanos killed half the universe - is that correct?But I liked the film. The special effects were fun but not overpowering, and fit the shrinking/enlarging theme. And the matchbox cars were a fun tribute - child-like and not childish.

And the stuff about “truth serum” was clever. Those lines from the bad guys at the end - “I’m an international terrorist!” “Me too - he’s the ringleader!” “Yes, I am, and there are health code violations at my restaurant that would turn your stomach”. And when they give the truth serum to the co-head of Ant-Man’s security firm, and he can’t get to the point because he has to tell EVERYTHING in his head - that was really clever, and, in a sense, realistic - everyone knows someone like that.

And they don’t have to Save the Universe in every film. Maybe the film makers have figured that out at last.

The parts where they shrink an entire building and then can pick it up with one hand bothered me much less than I thought it would. The only thing that worried me was “why not shrink it down even further, and put it in your pocket? Then you won’t lose it.” The whole “Ant-Man’s suit is a work in progress” was kind of a MacGuffin, but I also didn’t mind that. There is no art without resistance of the medium, and that was a convenient way not to make things too easy for everyone.

Overall, lots of fun. We are going to go back and re-watch the first Ant-Man movie, which we say but didn’t stick out in my memory.

Regards,
Shodan