Ant-man and the Wasp [possible spoilers past OP]

But — as you say — that, too, isn’t consistent, given the scenes where he rides a winged ant, or on one of Hawkeye’s arrows, when he isn’t spending rather a lot of time jogging along the top of the gun in some guy’s hand.

(FWIW, the Atom expressly built his shrink-ray costume with weight controls: he could dial it for “sneaky lightweight who can hide unnoticed in the briefcase full of money for the kidnappers”, and — on occasion — switch to “tiny dude who punches like what he is: a guy with the weight and strength of a full-grown man”.)

An enjoyable, fun movie.

Ghost’s father in the movie was name Elias Starr. In the comics, Elias Starr used the nom-de-guerre Egghead, and he was Ant-Man/Hank Pym’s arch-foe from his earliest days. Starr was a highly respected scientist who turned to crime after he was outed as a traitor.

And Jimmy Woo, the Asian-American FBI agent, first appeared in Yellow Claw Comics in 1956, back before Atlas Comics became Marvel Comics.

I recall them specifically mentioning, when Hope originally kidnaps Scott, who wakes up being driven around in a shrunk van, that the door wouldn’t unlock if the system was engaged. Presumably all the shrinkable cars function as containment suits and have the same safety feature.

Agent Woo was really funny in the movie too. Especially the final exchange between him and Scott. I was dyin’ in the theatre laughing.

It was unclear to me. It looked like maybe Ghost phase punched the dirty FBI agent in the heart? I thought maybe he was dead. Didn’t someone say they had a man down?

Someone needs to make a highly successful Micronauts movie so my copies of the entire run of comics can be worth something.

Hank did say Starr was a traitor and that’s why he was let go. No one seemed to listen because Hank is an asshole.

I don’t think you can go wrong with Randall Park.

And then he got killed by Hawkeye! Who wasn’t even really trying!

I feel reasonably certain that they said, in the first film, that size and mass are separate variables and they can be adjusted independently.

Granted, they haven’t used super-massive normal size for any purpose, so far.

Well, three of the main characters are vaporized at the end…

I was fully expecting the Snappening to occur while Scott was sitting down to dinner with his family. I’m glad it happened the way it did. Vaporizing a little girl would have been too much of a buzz kill in a light-hearted movie.

Just saw it a second time last night, and I’m quite certain I saw a city in a bubble, just after Hank and Janet took off in their Quantumobile. My wife saw it as well. Whether it was there for a specific reason, or just stuck in in case they thought up something in the future, I don’t know. Still, it may be where Janet had been for some of the thirty years. If nothing else, she didn’t seem to have that leather-ish cape/jacket when she was on the missile.
Now I’m thinking about how the Quantum realm and its properties may tie in to the future. We know Janet was able to throw a hook into Scott’s mind through entanglement. We know Strange was popped through the Realm when the Ancient One sent him on the Magical Mystery Tour when they first met.
Perhaps Strange, when he was examining possibilities, tossed a hook himself. Strange doesn’t know Scott, but then, neither did Janet, so presumably that doesn’t matter. I’d also assume that there is still a link between Janet and Scott, by the way.
Now, I’m one of those who thinks that all the beings who were Snapped were absorbed into the Soul Gem. If so, they’d be reachable through the Quantum Realm, I should think, as it touches all of time and space. If so, then Scott, floating in the Realm, has a link to (probably) Janet, and (in my theory) Strange as well.
And then there’s that city, assuming I’m not mistaken/hallucinating. Funny how it turned up in the movie just before Captain Marvel, who has not yet appeared in the MCU. Maybe that’s where she’s been for the last twenty-ish years…or maybe, not twenty years to her, but just to us.

Wow, that’s a lot of supposition, isn’t it? :smiley:

I only saw the movie once but he’s, there certainly seemed to be a city in the background.

Moreover - she had bought or attained some clothing from somewhere, so clearly there’s more than glowing slime on the quantum planet.

Just came across another couple of people who may have knowledge of the Quantum Realm - Fitz and Coulson. It got a quick mention in S03E01 of Agents of SHIELD, the episode “Laws of Nature”. Coulson is annoyed at the lengths Fitz is going through to find Simmons, who’d been taken off to Maveth by the Monolith.

From this article.

Coulson, of course, will be present in Captain Marvel….but that’s starting to really reach.

I’d like to see the SHIELD gang in the main MCU. They’re the most developed part of the whole universe and yet are the ones who have had the least impact, overall. It seems like a loss to not let them finally have a part in the main action.

Saw it last night, I liked it, but it wasn’t as good as the first. I did like that they kept the stakes small, like the first movie.

What’s up with shrinking things that are already shrunk? ISTR from the first movie that was a problem. There were a few times when they had the lab in the car, then shrunk the car.

“Do you guys just put the word ‘quantum’ in front of everything?”

How dare you forget about Ulysses S GrAnt

Pym particles, don’t care. Seriously though, I think it was smart to avoid trying to explain all the science like in the first movie. Just simplify it to “We have shrinking and growing technology. Sometimes it doesn’t work right.”

Despite enjoying the film, I feel like it’s with complaining about a few of the major flaws with it.

Overall, I enjoy any Marvel superhero movie where they don’t seem to be constrained by a need to introduce characters and plot points for other movies or, simply, because the studio wants to be able to sell the rights to more toy figurines. So, I do appreciate that this movie keeps it tight. They have their one story and they stick to it and the smallest possible cast necessary to make it happen.

But, it must be pointed out that “& the Wasp” is not a reasonable description of this film. I don’t believe that Evangeline Lily has any notable lines in this film beyond establishing that she’s angry with Scott Lang and then I’m love with him again. And, notably, there’s no actual transition between those two, not catalyst for the change. The angry part sufficed for all the jokes the writers had to offer on the subject, so they crank Lily around and turn her into romance mode so hard that you can see the puppet strings.

That said, I wouldn’t say that any character had any appreciable character development in this film. Ant-Man’s daughter seems to be the only real human in the whole thing, and everyone else is just a cardboard cutout to hang some one liners on.

The first third of the film feels strongly like the writers were told to use the same general setup as the first film. Pym and van Dynne (Evangeline Lily) are angry and distrusting of him, Rudd is an unreliable idiot of a man that is very dedicated to everyone and has a super ability to accomplish any task set to him (e.g., the unreliable part is only there for a few throwaway lines), and despite that van Dynne falls in love with him anyways and Pym grudgingly approves.

While the movie does follow that structure through the whole thing, like I said it’s just the first third that feels forced. Why are they angry at him? Because he saved Earth at the request of Captain Freaking America. If we’re supposed to buy that the Pyms would be angry at Lang for that, then we basically have to assume that they’re horrible people. And yet…they’re the heroes of the film? It just feels like they needed an excuse to make the two of them angry, to match the structure of the first film from start to finish.

But doing that means that van Dynne’s role hasn’t changed from the first movie. She’s just “the love interest” all over again, and in all the same ways as the first film. So even accepting that there were no roles of depth in the film, the writers still do more to try and develop the character of Ghost into a real boy (I mean girl) than they do with one of the characters that the movie is titled after.

And with Ghost, they largely turn her into a Daddy’s girl who can’t refuse her father figure anything. So, yeah, joy.

The whole movie felt like the writers and producers were trying to respond to the Bechdel test by introducing Ghost and Mrs. Pym into the series and putting Wasp in the title, but none of it works. There’s a scene where the characters are standing behind a classroom of physics students and we’re zoomed in on the three sitting in the back, just in front of the main characters. All three of the extras are women (yay!) But then you have two male scientists, two sets of comedy relief characters (Michael Pena’s team and Walton Goggin’s) who are all male, all the police and FBI chasing them are all male, and the only two real female characters, Ghost and van Dynne, are completely subservient to their fathers and don’t seem to have any life beyond that.

Scott and Morpheus have a nice little meaningless conversation about who can get bigger and how tiring it is, as a setup for the big moment when Ant-Man becomes huge and saves the day later. He had this cool idea to distract the police by inflating his suit and setting it up against a wall. When does the Wasp ever do anything spectacular or clever? At the best, she has a car chase scene showing off how amazing she is, but then Michael Pena’s copies all of her moves and he’s just some dumbass with access to all the same toys.

So, yeah, not too surprised by the number of women’s names here:

Directed by
Peyton Reed

Produced by
Kevin Feige
Stephen Broussard

Written by
Chris McKenna
Erik Sommers
Paul Rudd
Andrew Barrer
Gabriel Ferrari

Cinematography
Dante Spinotti

Edited by
Dan Lebental
Craig Wood

And my final complaint is Michelle Pfeiffer. I mean she was fine. But her presentation in the movie left the sci-fi setting off the film and went straight into magic. How will she heal Ghost? Magic. How does she control Scott’s mind? Magic.

Like, sure, magic does exist in the MCU, but everything we see in this film and given that we’re dealing with tardigrades and quantum life and such, one would hope for better techno-babble than “quantum means magic, everyone!” I mean c’mon people, it’s not that hard.

“If you suck all of the quantum energy out of her she might die!”

That’s TV show level writing, right there. This is a multi-hundred million dollar Hollywood mega-production. You can do better than that.

As for Pfeiffer herself, I hope we see more of her. She was always a good actor. It’s been a shame that she hasn’t been in more films (hopefully not due to Weinstein).

I’d say it’s comic book level writing.

I thought he survived. It was Ant-onio Banderas that got eaten by a seagull.

(my italics) Saved Earth? More like helped Captain America free a wanted terrorist & assassin, destroying an airport & breaking many, many laws in the process, and forcing them to become fugitives or turn over all Pym technology to the government. I think they had every right to be pissed at him for that, regardless of how Civil War ended.

He also stole the suit.