Ant-man and the Wasp [possible spoilers past OP]

Fun overall, although pretty forgettable.

One persnickety criticism… Far more than most blockbusters these days, I felt like just about every neat size gag in the movie was shown at some point in an ad or trailer that I saw. The shrinking building. Half-size ant-man. Various bits of car chases. The pez dispenser. The giant by the ferry. The ads and trailers didn’t give away the plot at all, but they sure gave away most of the neat visual surprises. Anyone else feel that way?

Very enjoyable, smartly written. So much better than the first.

Mid-credits scene: “Avoid a time vortex, Scott, unless you want to get stuck helping the Avengers defeat Thanos.”

Huge heaping pile of foreshadowing right there, or whatever Deadpool calls it.

Yeah. Looks like the Time solution to the Snappening is happening. So now we’ve got to get Scott out of the Quantum Realm and into the macro-verse to execute the plan.

1. Is it the Marvel geek in just me or did anyone else want him to run into Jarella?

2. How about him running into Commander Rann, Acroyear and the rest of the Micronauts?

It’s OK, I’ll be over here in my ‘been reading comics for more than 40 years’ corner. Come join me, I’ve got the trades!

Unfortunately, Micronauts is owned by another studio.

I saw it tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. Light-hearted and funny was just what the MCU needed after Infinity War.

Good movie. When the snappening happens the Pyms and Scott are obviously unaware of what is happening. While Scott is now on probation, Hank and Hope are still on the run and when Scott goes to meet them they are clearly off grid. They probably don’t risk making any electronic noise to avoid being detected and that cuts into their connectivity.

Just saw it – lots of fun. Better in every way (by a little, not a lot) than the first, aside from perhaps the sheer novelty of the size-changing effects and gags. The post-credits vanishing and Janet’s mention of a “time vortex” gives a clear but broad path forward for the next Avengers.

We also got a clear look at our new overlords - and I, for one, welcome them.

We saw it yesterday. Enjoyed it. It gives about what you would expect.

Did anyone else see what appeared to be a city in a bubble, during one of the quantum scenes? Kind of in the background. IIRC, not long after Hank picked up Janet and they were heading out.

I did not but a lot of people are mentioning it.
I did see what I thought was Dormammu from Dr. Strange in the background.
One flaw that I think was glaring was that our three heroes did not seem at all interested or sympathetic toward Ghost. I think Pym begrudgingly saying he’d help Foster help Ghost after they saved Jan was about it.

It seems like a better source of tension between Scott and the Pyms would have been for them to be so laser focused on getting Jan back that they truly do not care about Ghost… who is also a victim in all of this. Scott should have been absolutely sympathetic to the grown daughter of a girl who lost both her parents to Pym tech…Tthe whole movie is about fathers and daughters and fact the heroes saw a daughter who lost her father as a nuisance or obstacle is really disheartening.

For the love of God, Montresor!

Nice one, Ed.

Most of the salient points have already been made; I’ll try to consolidate them and add a bit.

1. As mentioned, the events of Infinity War happened pretty quickly, and we don’t know how much time passed between the end of Ant Man and The Wasp and the end-credits scene. The entirety of Infinity War could have happened between those two events.

2. Even if Infinity War happened concurrently with Ant Man and The Wasp proper, the most the principle characters would have seen was a newscast about the very brief attack on N.Y. and Tony Stark missing. What could they have done? And they were a little too busy to watch T.V.

3. Cap is a righteous dude. With all of the shit Scott had been through on Cap’s behalf, and knowing he had a family to protect, the only way Cap would have attempted to enlist Ant Man was if he thought he would have made a difference, as in, all of our power is not enough to defeat Thanos, but if we had Ant Man, then we could defeat Thanos.

What the time frame for most MCU movies? AFAIK, not counting flashbacks or distant prologues and epilouges, the average Marvel film occurs over a few days. The only exceptions that I can recall now.

*IronMan: Stark spends several months in captivity. And some time post release perfecting the suit

• The First Avenger: Very explicitly the main film takes place from March 1943 to VE-Day. Steve Rogers has time to undergo basic traning, partake in the Super Soldier programme, chase after the Hydra Agents, be commissioned, spend some sigficant period with the USO, then start his Howling Commandos.
  • Doctor Strange: Strange’s convalasence from his injuries and his impending bankrupcy, his travel to Tibet and his training, although the last might not be linear time. So many months at least.

Otherwise pretty much every movie takes place over a few days, week tops.

Could movie, fun movie. Could have been better. The antagonists were weak.

Overall, Vision says in Age of Ultron that 8 years have passed since Iron Man first appeared. Tack on some significant stuff since and we’re figuring maybe 10 years? Ten really portentous years.

Really, the people of Earth - after all of this - should be numb to the amazing. Kinda like the citizens of London in the Doctor Who universe. “Oh, Christmas is coming up. I wonder if we’ll be invaded this time?”

1. I’m not so sure that is was concurrent. I know this is a comic book world where impossible technological and engineering feats can be done overnight, but in the post-credit scene, I’m pretty sure they re-fabricated the portable quantum tunnel, not just shrunk it with Pym particles, based on Janet’s dialog (or I may be misremembering what she said - that happens a lot too). So that leaves time between the ending of the movie and the post credit scene. Ant-Man and the Wasp could have occurred days or weeks prior to the events of Infinity War, and it’s just the post-credit scene occurring just as Thanos snaps his finger.

2. I made the exact same point, but Debbie Downers disagree.

I liked it. I think more than the first.

The growing of objects bugs me, (simply because it would solve so many problems in the world it would be insane), but I can let it pass. Also, it seems like conservation of mass while shrunk was inconsistent. The Wasp for one definitely seemed like she kept her mass while shrunk (guys went flying when she hit them while tiny), but other things, definitely not.

That was a major plot point in the first one…that was also inconsistent.

Hank had a tank keychain…it should have weighed as much as a tank… it did not.
They should at least try to handwave it that living matter somehow maintains mass but everything else does not.

They also made a big deal that the suits were needed to grow and shrink living matter…implying that it must be contained to work without adverse effects… I guess we are to assume that the cars that grow and shrink and sealed and work as containment units… but what happens if Luis opened the door while his hotwheels car was shrunk?