Antonio Brown is a douchebag

I wonder if AB hasn’t had his bell rung one too many times. Maybe it really is time for him to retire.

Almost killing a kid with furniture thrown from a balcony during a tantrum makes AB a colossal douchebag. The helmet thing makes him a laughingstock. Get over it, princess.

That’s the kind of thing I’m talking about: his behavior is erratic and self-destructive. Sure, some of it is probably arrogance, but he’s impulsively violent and reckless. That makes me wonder if he isn’t already suffering from some form of CTE. Maybe for his sake and the sake of others, retirement is his best option.

If all WRs have to use the same helmet, surely they’re at equal disadvantage now? AB wouldn’t be any worse off.

Two funny side notes to this whole debacle:

1. Its funny how Brown finally deciding to PRACTICE basically gets wall-to-wall coverage on ESPN.

2. Kinda funny how this whole thing makes Gruden look like a clown as he bends over backwards while trying to kiss AB’s ass at every turn. Though i suppose you could argue Gruden was always a bit of a clown. At least the GM almost tried to be a little stern, or threaten to be stern in the future… or something.

Some people think this was all a little manufactured drama for Hard Knocks.

On a related note, why are so many divas wide receivers? Is it something about the WR position that fosters a diva attitude?

I’ve read conjecture that it may have something to do with the concept that wide receivers, moreso than most other positions in football, are solo performers – they run their routes, without a lot of interaction with their teammates (except, of course, for the quarterback) and they often are engaged in one-to-one battles against single defensive backs.

Corner backs are frequently divas as well. They interact more with safeties to share coverage but there tend to be quite a few corners who like the spotlight and can be, let’s say they have strong personalities.

That’s a good point, and it’s they who are most likely to be engaging in those one-on-one matchups against diva wide receivers. :wink:

Another theory I’ve heard is that a wide receiver’s success is very dependent on how often the QB throws them the ball. Acting super confident and arrogant sends a message which might influence the QB to throw them the ball more if the QB believes them. Even if WRs aren’t doing it intentionally, if WRs are rewarded for arrogance, then it will select for arrogance in WRs.

Oh yeah. DeAngelo Hall, Josh Norman, Darrelle Revis, Richard Sherman, Deion Sanders, Cortland Finnegan, etc.

I’m not sure how much that overrides the QB’s actual knowledge of the WR’s strengths. In Dallas, for instance, Roy Williams had plenty of diva personality, but he played so poorly and dropped so many balls that Tony Romo threw him the ball seldomly, so little so that it was theorized that Romo was deliberately avoiding him.

As much as a WR relies on the QB, the opposite is true. If the guy you throw to doesn’t catch the ball, you both look bad.

The CLEAREST example of this mutual behavior in the current NFL is this (YouTube video follows): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeBWYwDls1A

AB, who arrived to camp in a hot air balloon, goes off about his circumsized feet.

Warning: uh, yeah, kinda gross.

Wasn’t that the whole point of his generating this big controversy?

Yeah, it’s reminiscent of Terrell Owens wearing no shirt and doing sit-ups while surrounded by a media scrum.

Allen Iverson lives on.

That’s…not exactly equivalent, given that AI was talking about how he felt regarding practice when the trial of his friend’s murderer had just started a couple days before. Just after the popular clip ends, Iverson speaks on it: