Big Ben in Big Trouble?

The authorities are taking a very long time with this. It’s difficult to imagine a scenario in which they come back with a “nothing to see here folks, everyone go home!” response. I’m very worried for the 2010 Steelers. Of course, if he really did something bad, I believe he should be punished to the full extent of the law. But these things usually turn into a “he said, she said” debate.

I am a Steeler fan but am starting to think I may not be a Ben fan. The first allegation looked fishy enough that I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But he keeps making bad choices. I hope he is innocent. If he is not, I want the team to deal with him - even if we lose because of it.

They resigned Randel El. I wonder if that is related.

Obviously, I have no way of knowing what really happened. Right now, based solely on the little information available to the public, a jury would HAVE to say there’s nowhere NEAR enough evidence to indict Ben, let alone convict him of a crime.

Even so, when a guy is ALREADY under scrutiny following a sexual assault suit (one that may very well be bogus) and he STILL can’t keep his nose completely clean until that’s blown over, something is DEFINITELY very wrong with him.

He’s young, he’s single, he’s rich, he’s successful and famous. Naturally, he’s going to want to enjoy the female attentions that come with all that. I don’t begrudge him any of the perks that come with being a star athlete. But even the biggest “playas” in sport generally don’t have ONE sexual assault charge levelled against them, let alone two.

You have to figure he’s a reckless idiot, even if you’re not sure he’s truly a bad guy.

Ben is clearly a target right now. He’s Matt Leinart with 2 Super Bowl rings. He’s still behaving like he’s the BMOC, and he’s having the time of his life with whoever he wants. The problem with that is, if someone wanted to make a quick chunk of change, just making the allegation is enough to make everyone raise an eyebrow. Ben is beginning to develop a pattern… and not a very good one.

What concerns me about this is that the story is strange on a number of levels. Ben “allegedly” takes a 20 year old college student in the ladies room and has sex. Really? This is the best he can do? Is he arrogant enough to think that he can have sex in a public restroom and no one will notice?

OK, let’s say for a moment he is. He apparently made a statement to the police that interviewed him that he didn’t have sex with this woman. Well, that’s good. Unless, of course, Ben’s DNA is found on her. So they are collecting Ben’s DNA, and are going to compare it with the DNA collected the night of the incident. What happens if it matches? Ben’s in big trouble.

He would have been smarter to say they had consentual sex (if indeed he had sex with her), in which case the he said/she said scenario works.

So it appears that he’s painted himself into a corner. If he’s innocent, he has nothing to worry about. However, if he had sex with the woman, he’s in deep doo-doo, regardless of whether or not he sexually assaulted her.

Two accusations in less than a year? Not good. He has to be smarter than that. If he is fortunate enough to get out of this, there has to be a significant change of behavior for Ben. I’m not sure he’s mature enough to do it. If he’s guilty, he appears to be a sexual predator, and he’s got larger problems than anyone can imagine.

After the Tiger Woods revelations earlier this year, I have concluded that we don’t know any of these guys, and what they are like in their day to day lives. But DNA doesn’t lie. He’ll be “discovered” if he did it. If he didn’t, he should revisit his social life behavior. Hell, he should be doing that right now anyway.

This is the same reckless idiot who nearly killed himself riding a motorcycle without a helmet or a motorcycle license.

You mean “I didn’t do it, but if I did, it was consensual” isn’t going to fly in court?

On the “reckless idiot” comment - another option is that he was drunk. He may not be sure what happened. Whatever really happened, the accusation doesn’t look good for him. If he did it, I’ll be sad as a fan, but I hope he will be punished accordingly.

this is why attorneys don’t want their clients speaking to the authorities before they’ve had a chance to sit down with them.

I agree, though, that if he’s guilty, he gets punished appropriately. Maybe he’ll finally wake up. And I say this as a Steeler fan.

I also think it says a lot that the attorney he hired is the same guy that got Ray Lewis off on his murder charge right after the Super Bowl. Ben’s not playing with his cousin Vinny.

At best, he’s dumb as a post.

Actually, strike that…at best, he suffers from believing that he’s invulnerable, and can do whatever he wants.

And, let’s face it, that’s the kind of attitude a successful quarterback NEEDS! Whe your team is down by a touchdown with 1 minute to go, don’t you WANT a quarterback who thinks he’s invincible?

No. Ask the Vikings.

I guess it’s up to me to be the asshole.
I don’t harbor a grudge against teams, unless they’re the Yankees. However, in recent history, a LOT of self-identified Steeler fans have been riding the high horse with regards to the team they follow. They’d say things like how the Steelers are different and are professional and don’t get in any kind of trouble and how there wouldn’t be a trouble maker in the clubhouse. It goes to show that malcontents and idiots can pop up everywhere, in any clubhouse.

It’s worth rereading the first two posts in this thread, LOUNE. I’m a Ravens fan, and I feel the same way about a lot of Steeler fans, but both the OP and first response were from self-identified Steelers fans who put dealing with the situation ahead of the team. That doesn’t absolve any of the asshole Pittsburgh fans out there - they’re essentially the Yankee fans of the NFL - but you’re painting with a pretty broad brush.

Yes and no. I mean, I don’t have any antipathy towards the Steelers. They’re probably the team I follow when the Lions are out of contention, which is all the time.

Yes, the brush is broad, but I’ve seen those things said many times before. I’m just wondering how that gets explained.

I totally disagree; just the accusation is enough to indict. What’s that line? Something like “a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich.”

This is true. But the Steelers DO have a history of not letting a malcontent or a troublemaker stick around and pollute the locker-room.

Recent players of memory to fall in this category -

Plaxico Burress - a first round draft pick and a great talent who turned out to be a headcase. Steelers got rid of him (didn’t resign him when his contract was up), even though he had great talent at a position the Steelers needed help at.

Bam Morris - Leading rusher in Super Bowl 30, and he had a great career ahead of him until that offseason, when he was found with 200+ lbs of pot in his car. Gone.

I know there are others, but these two popped into my head first.

This, however, is the first time a franchise QB is embarrassing the Rooney’s. We’ll have to wait and see what the tolerance level is, but my guess is that if these charges prove true, he’ll be gone.

Morris was Eric Pegram’s backup and averaged 3.8 yards a carry the season before he was released - he was no loss. Burress had played out his rookie contract and was an unrestricted free agent who was going to command #1 WR. The Steelers already had Ward there and weren’t going to shell out that kind of money for a #2 wideout on a run-first offense.

They cut a backup running back who got arrested. They put up with a prima donna WR for five years, and didn’t let him go (his contract ran out - he wasn’t released) until his production declined. Any other NFL team would have made the same decisions.

Burress was let go due to performance issues. The knock on him was that he disappeared in the playoffs.

Santonio Holmes, James Harrison, Cedric Wilson and now Ben Rothlisberger.

Ben Roethlisberger is 100% innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law.

No matter how many charges are levied against him.

That is the way it is in the US. He has the right to face his accusers and be tried. He can either be found guilty or not guilty of the offenses.

The sad fact in these type of cases is that even if he is exonerated, his name is forever tainted and I think that is a shame.

I think it is likely that he is, and has been, shafted by predators with a jihad on his wallet.

I think that time will tell that he is a good guy that has been dealt a bad couple of low blows.

Count me in on his side in the long debates surely to follow.

I sure do hope he wins another few Super Bowls and that he ends his career in the Canton Hall of Fame.

KB.

Ah, but not necessarily in the eyes of the NFL.

Anyway, I feel the exact opposite than you do about him. I think he has a spoiled fratboy mentality and that he is a big old drama queen with quite a bit of air whistling between his ears.