Antonio Brown is a douchebag

Could you folks PLEASE take the talk about a DIFFERENT FUCKING PLAYER who played for a DIFFERENT FUCKING TEAM and had a DIFFERENT FUCKING ISSUE to another thread?

I don’t know why this is worthy of that kind of reaction. They both left the same team under similar ignominious circumstances at the same time. They are inextricably linked to each other.

Yet again, it’s $35m guaranteed from New York. He got the same amount of money and a year off. Tell me again how he’s come out worse.

Well, he’s playing for the Jets now, for one.

I love this technique:

Chi: He got more guaranteed money!

Me: Yes, he did but thats not the only measure of whether he is better off.

Chi: But he got more guaranteed money!

Me: Yes, but he will make less per year, for fewer years, and with only a slight uptick in guaranteed.

Me: Yes, but that only matters if he suffers a career ending injury in year one of his contract and they cut him. Which, for an elite player at his position, rarely, if ever, happens.

Me: sigh

[Moderating]

Zakalwe, if you think that a thread has gotten hijacked, you have a number of options. You can report the thread. You can politely ask other folks to get back on the topic. You can ignore the hijack and just add more discussion about the original topic (this is probably the most effective option). You seem to be getting way too heated for any of that. You probably ought to take a step back from this thread, and only come back once you’ve calmed down.

My WAG regarding Antonio:

I suspect the foot issue is worse than we really know (in terms of how long it will take him to recover), and it’s embarrassing and AB can’t control it. The complaint about the helmet is something he can control (to a certain extent) so he’s going with that. Star players not playing pre-season games is one thing (even common), but he’s not even practicing with the team. I mean, why not fight your helmet fight, while practicing with an approved helmet that you hate… unless maybe your feet are still fucked.

Don’t buy it. AB is showing his injured feet on Hard Knocks. He’s also shown running and cutting on them in limited time. He’s not healed yet, that’s for sure, but I don’t think there’s some big conspiracy to obscure a long term issue.

The helmet thing is just him being a prima donna and rebelling. Breaking in a new helmet is annoying, and if he’s one of those superstitious/OCD types who needs his routine it’s probably especially distracting. Mayock and Gruden were very tolerant on the foot injury, they are clearly fed up with the helmet thing. I see no way that blowing up the helmet issue is a net gain for him.

While I agree Brown is a prima donna, here’s a really good article from Nate Jackson (TE-Broncos) about how big of a deal changing helmets is:

Question about these helmets he’s trying to find:

Years ago i took a 2 week motorcycle safety course where (if we passed) we got our motorcycle drivers licence at the end of the 2 weeks. One thing they preached was never set your helmet on the seat of your bike, because if it fell from that height and hit the ground it was basically useless (to the point where they wouldn’t even let us ride in the class if they saw us drop our helmet).

Are modern football helmets the same? Are they rendered unsafe after a certain amount of hits/games?

I think we’re going to have to agree to disagree on how good that article is.

Yeah, that’s a complete line of shit.

Dating advice for the 2019 NFL season: Find someone who loves you like Antonio Brown loves his helmet.

I’m sure it is. Nevertheless, he has no choice, so suck it up and get on with it. Virtually everybody else manages to adapt and overcome without making it a huge thing of it.

Even if we grant that the new helmets hinder visibility and make it harder to catch the ball, isn’t that a handicap that’s being applied uniformly to all receivers? It’s not like changing the helmet rules creates an uneven playing field.

Yes. It’s analogous to a cornerback complaining that DPI rules are too stringent and he can’t provide coverage like he used to, so he refuses to play until they make an exception for him. Except this is worse, because the impetus for this rule is to protect Brown and other players. (Well, cynically you can say it’s to protect the NFL from lawsuits and improve their public image but potato, poh-tah-toe.)

I’m no expert on pro football contracts or the workings of the collective bargaining agreement, but it seems pretty clear from reading some articles on this that Bell cost himself money with his holdout.

I’m not interested in criticizing him for it. I think players need to look out for their own interests, and I’ve got no time for fans who blather on about “the good of the team” and other bullshit like that. That’s especially true in a league where the owners hold so many of the cards. It’s not like baseball, where all your money is guaranteed no matter what. Bell took a gamble based on his perceived self-interest. It cost him a year, and will probably cost him some money, but I don’t really blame him for doing it.

The whole conversation about him (and Brown, for that matter) seems to be all or nothing. Either the Steelers shafted Brown and Bell, or Brown and Bell are disloyal assholes and the team was right to stand up to them. Brown, especially, does seem like a bit of a strange personality, but there are primadonnas all over professional sports. And sure, Bell wanted a lot of money. But can anyone seriously argue that Pittsburgh wouldn’t be a better team if they still had two players who, between them, have almost 20,000 yards from scrimmage over a combined 14 NFL seasons?

There’s a decent chance the Ravens are going to suck this season, but I’m certainly happier knowing that their biggest rival won’t have one of the best running backs and one of the best wide receivers of the last decade in their lineup. As for the fans, I sort of like Drew Magary’s take:

Back to AB: he didn’t pay a chef he engaged, because a fish head reminded him of the horse-head in The Godfather, making the chef a mob killer, whom he kicked out un-paid. I’ve had days almost exactly like that. Antonio Brown's $38,000 Dispute Started Over Frozen Fish Head, Says Chef
Warning: source is TMZ so odds are non-zero this is al bs, which would be tragic.

Brown is going to make $30 million guaranteed. If he can’t find the NFL helmet that meets his EXACT needs, then he has to join the other 99.9999% of the rest of the players and accept the helmet given to him.

I can’t imagine the displeasure of the first players to have to play with the face mask in the 1960s but they got over it. These were players that made 5 figures.

Surely Antonio Brown can find a way to adjust to slight modification to the new NFL helmet, and if he is such a great talent, will overcome its limitations. Either way he gets paid. Just get on the field and play fucking football, Antonio and stop being such a fucking crybaby.

This from a pro-player v management guy.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, the lawsuit itself is real. I downloaded the complaint from the Osceola County Courts website. It doesn’t talk about the salmon head, or make any Godfather references. It’s a fairly standard claim for unpaid services.

I’ve uploaded the complaint to my Google drive.

Brown really is a bit of a train wreck.