Any 311 fans here? New single out

It’s called Hey You. Link.

They’ve been releasing an album every odd year since I started listening to them in the mid-'90s, but they skipped 2007, so this will be the first album in 4 years. It’s called Uplifter and it’s due out in June.

As for the single . . . I like the lyrics. The sound isn’t blowing me away. It doesn’t sound like they’re breaking any new ground. That could be good if it’s one of the weaker songs on the album, or a disaster if it’s the best.

Anyway, I will walk into a record store and purchase an actual, physical copy of this album, which I have’t done since . . . 311’s last album.

Cool - keep us posted. I dig some of their singles - I like the mix of reggae beats and heavier guitar - and I like Nick Hexum’s singing voice. I could do without the high-voiced vocalist.

A quick listen - hmm, you’re right; it does sound like their same formula…

I know everyone was bursting with interest in this thread so here’s the update, finally.

I got the album. I’ve listened to it 3 or 4 times. It’s hard to really sum up how I feel for it. I guess the first thing I should say is that if I wasn’t a fan, and didn’t feel very nostalgic for them, I probably wouldn’t like it at all. But then you could say that about every one of their records since 1995’s ‘Blue’ album.

The bad:
Maybe I’m covering for my boys here, but I honestly think Bob Rock screwed the pooch. Some of the things that just feel like they were producer decisions are just god awful. The worst moment of the album is a chant of “Three-eleven, three-three-eleven” at the start of what is otherwise a pretty good song. There’s a lot of call-and-reponse type lyrics that will probably work great in the live show (what they are increasingly known for) but just sound corny as all get out on an album. Lots of “get up!”, “everybody say-!”, etc. And then there’s just a lot of ending lines with “huh” “what”, and other little idiosyncrasies that might’ve not been corny 15 years ago. Add to that some embarassingly amateur and completely meaningless raps like Mix it up quick and it’ll blow up on the spot I gotta tell ya that the place gettin’ hot and things look a little grim.

The good:
You’ll probably be surprised to hear me say, after all that, that lyrics are also a strong point on this album. Are they corny? At times, yes. But have they always been? At times, yes. If you’re a fan this shouldn’t be anything new. They’re also amazingly positive and - ahem - uplifting, as always. If “It’s Alright” isn’t already making you feel good enough, it suddenly breaks into a bridge that momentarily convinces you that a song really could end a war. If you don’t substitute your own name into the lyric, “we’re only entered in one contest, and we made it ourselves-- that’s to be the 311est” then check your pulse.

The days of “Fuck the Bullshit” and even “What the Fuck Was I Thinking” are long gone, probably to never return, but the guys are still essentially the same as ever. The message is there, the slappy bass is there, the “vibe” is there. At the end of the day, I can confidently say that this is better than their last album, which is a direction a band always wants to be headed in.