Any AFI Fans Here?

Not the Amercian Film Institute :wink:

AFI, A Fire Inside
They are back! Coming out with a new album in Sept 2013, it’s been 3 years and the fan base ( The Despair Faction) is chomping at the bit for new material. This is fantastic news considering a lot of us though they were breaking up.

So even if you aren’t an AFI fan, have there been bands you loved who went on a long hiatus and showed up with an awesome comeback album? Dish

I’ve met them before. Really nice people.

yea, Hunter was the most personable when I met the band. Davey is a typical front man, he seems mostly unapproachable and hard to get to know. Adam, the drummer is laid back and a guys guy from what I gathered, and Jade is shy. Of course that was 6 years ago before I had my twins, so they have probably changed as much as I have.

bump

I swear, I’ve seen this thread before…

…I like them all right. I had a friend back in the late nineties who was into both them and Bad Religion; he introduced me to both those bands. I got into Bad Religion first, then, a year later, picked up the latest AFI album which was, at the time, Art of Drowning.

Now, I liked it, but I didn’t really get how it related to Bad Religion. I mean, I could pick up some of the similarities, but it had an entirely different sound to it. It wasn’t until a few years later that I was able to go online and (easily) listen to some of their earlier stuff. From that, I could see the link.

Personally, I liked the stuff around Art of Drowning and Sing the Sorrow best. Their latest stuff seems a lot more polished, which…it’s fine, but I don’t like it as much. Personal preference. And the earlier stuff is very unpolished, which has its own charms (god knows I love punk), but, again, I don’t like it quite as much as that middle ground. Maybe because some things just hit you a lot harder when you’re 19/20 than they do when you’re almost 30.

I don’t consider them to be an especially stellar band, technically speaking, but I think their music does a very good job of inspiring emotion, and I love the imagery they use.

I liked their earlier stuff better but I like them alright.

In regards to the second question Desaparecidos just did a reunion tour after a 10 year haitus and put out 4 new singles so that gives me hope for new content.

10 years is a long time. I wonder what keeps bands who spend so much time apart wanting to come back together.

Well in this case, Conor Oberst continued to make music as Bright Eyes for the whole time, but then the label that he used for his side project asked them to play a reunion for the label’s 10th anniversary. They got back together and he and the band decided that the rock sound was more suited to the political style songs they felt like writing so they put out a few more. You really ought to check them out the original album still holds up great and the new stuff is really good too.