Any benefit to olive oil in ear for infection?

So in this thread some posts claim oil in the ear might be beneficial in relieving pain, and I think one mention (which I’ve seen elsewhere on the net) that it might help clear out wax, but most of the posts seem pretty anecdotal for GQ. Is there any science behind the oil method?

And elfkin, I’m particularly curious about you mentioning garlic oil to clear out the infection. Since I might very well have a bacterial infection, is there any science behind using garlic oil for this?

There may be a large number of scientific studies that in some way demonstrate that adding oil to something that was once oily but has dried out will make it oily again.

That seems to be the general principle at work, based on the numerous cites I find by searching “why does oil remove ear wax”. Wax that begins to dry out and become less oily clogs the ear more readily than soft, oily wax. Adding oil makes it oily.

If you suspect you have an ear infection as opposed to just waxy ears you probably would benefit more from some antibiotics than olive oil.

Have you tried going to something like a Minute Clinic or something like that? They might be able to check you out for a lot cheaper then going to a doctor, especially for something like an ear infection. Meds should hopefully be cheaper too as you could probably get a generic brand.

I’ve found the most success with OTC ear drops + ibuprofen + VERY hot compress + massager vibrations. You can buy medicated ear drops over the counter. Not as strong as prescription, but still pretty good. I deal with a LOT of ear issues because I have very sticky wax and twisted ear canals (I think the technical term is occluded or something like that). This combination of remedies works well on an ear infection, but it takes a few days.

I’ve never tried olive oil. Maybe I will next time it crops up.

One thing that people need to be mindful of is that there are different types of ear infections. While ear drops may be helpful for outer ear infections, i.e. “swimmer’s ear”, it sounds like Moe has an inner/middle ear infection in which case the ear drum will prevent any ear drops from reaching the site of infection.

Will this eventually take care of itself or, absent antibiotics, will I just have to live the rest of my health-insurance-less life like this?? (Incidentally, it should be noted that I make my living partially as a musician).

I believe I read on some site regarding ear infections in children/babies (as most of them seem to be) that what typically happens is that the ear drum ruptures, releasing the fluid. Am I just waiting for my ear drum to rupture? I know I’ve been advised against the holding my nose and blowing technique but would that speed up the process?

My remedy is to put a wadded up paper towel in the bottom of a coffee cup and then pour very hot water in to just moisten the towel. Being very careful, tilt your head put your ear over the cup and press to seal it as best you can. Leave it there for several minutes to soften the wax.

If it is a bacterial infection and continues, it may permanently damage your hearing. It will either get worse or go away, it is very unlikely to just stay the same forever.

To prevent this sort of thing occuring in the future, take the pseudephedrine before the flight. It comes in 24 hour version, take that if you have a long flight.

Regarding ear wax: Some people naturally have drier ear wax that clogs. Lubricating it and softening it with oil helps it come out. The experiment is easy to do for yourself - take a candle and flake off some wax, press it gently in two identical U-shaped piles (just enough that it sticks) on a piece of leather and place that on an incline U faced up. In each U put some oil. Repeat 3x a day for several days, then observe. What do you observe?

As to the science of holding off on antibiotics and the relative efficacy of oil drops for pain relief, I submit this study looking at confirmed acute otitis media in children over age 5 years.

To summarize: oil drops (in this case olive oil with a variety of other herbal crud) provided as good of pain relief as did anesthetic drops, and antibiotics did not make any difference for this group of children over 5 yo with simple middle ear infections.

Current guidelines encourage watchful waiting before prescribing antibiotics for acute otitis media for those over 2 years of age who do not have severe illness. Most of the time it resolves on its own and only infrequently do we see ear drum ruptures (although it certainly does occur).

Pseudoephedrine does not help prevent otitis media or to treat it.