Any cats I should avoid?

If you’re looking for an indoor cat, I’d say stay away from Maine Coons. They tend to be happier out of doors.

YMMV

The never ending debate :). I personally come down on Francis Vaughan’s side of things - IME kitten personalities correspond reasonably well to adult cat personalities, barring trauma and acknowledging there are always outliers. I suspect the biggest personality change is often in the week after bringing them home and is due to external factors like getting over that bout of upper respiratory infection that made them so quiet and cuddly at the shelter. That said a half-grown kitten, as suggested above, is an excellent compromise and they usually aren’t in that short of supply at shelters.

For an active seven year old, tolerance and a phlegmatic personality is probably preferable to a whirling dervish of a kitten ( granted that can be tough to ferret out - all kittens can be whirling dervishes ). The carrying test is probably a good one for this. Also many shelters are now using the ASPCA MYM tests like this one as a guide to cat personalities and placing them in appropriate homes. The cats are sorted by behaviorists within a matrix of nine basic personality types and then they try to match personality/environment with the proper owner. There has been some claim of increased retention of pets with this approach.

I would agree with whoever pointed out that kittens can be, you know, squashable. An adult cat will, appropriately, only tolerate so much that’s actually painful to it before telling a child in no uncertain terms that that is not how you treat an animal - I mean, our cats are sweet and they would be appropriate for children but I’m sure if you really gave a tail a good yank you wouldn’t do it twice. Adult cats are behavior correctors in children.

The one exception to 2 would be if you find a marmalade male - I’ve heard many, many people say that they are the sweetest fellows you could ask for in a cat (and our experience with 2 of them bore that out). But otherwise yeah, don’t get a cat just because it’s pretty.

I wouldn’t put up with a cat that wouldn’t let me pick it up, either.

Now, of the 3 I’ve been owned by, one would (upon being picked up), crawl up onto my shoulder and drape herself across one shoulder, behind my neck, and onto the other shoulder. Sort of like a live fur stole. :slight_smile:

The other two would put up with being picked up - but would be looking around and squirming a tad and cleared did not especially enjoy being held in my arms. Neither ever tried to bite, though. However, the minute I’d sit down, one or both would come dashing across the room to hop onto my lap for pettin’s and purrin’s. They’d stay there as long as we’d let 'em. I guess the arms were either a) not comfortable, or b) simply not on Their Terms, so therefore not acceptable.

I agree with all the others that personality is paramount. If a cat doesn’t like being touched / petted / held (on lap at least), you won’t enjoy it nearly as much.

Have you considered a young cat, maybe in the 6 months-2 years range? They’re too big to climb the curtains, and big enough that a kid is less likely to damage them. They’re still young enough that they’re not likely to develop health problems or die anytime soon (though that can happen with any cat, of course). And, of course, they’re harder for shelters to adopt out than younger kittens are, so you can feel good about rescuing one.

And there are plenty where you can’t, and where you will have a very hard time if you try to get your money back as per any of their ‘guarantees’. You’re going to pay a lot of money for a kitten that is, at best, very much like one you could get cheaper at a shelter.

Also, shelters won’t try to sell you a lot of stuff for your cat that you might not need. The shelter, unlike a pet store, doesn’t make money off the stuff you buy, so they don’t have the incentive to recommend stuff you won’t need or upsell you to more expensive versions of basic necessities.

HOLY CRAP!!! :eek:

Er, what I said about marmalade males… forget I ever said that, mkay? :eek:

You never know. One of the best cats I had was a feral kitty I took home from the park. He was pretty and a lot of fun. But his play was different. When I played rough with him , I would wrap my arm in a thick towel . When he hit ,it was hard. It was killing practice. When I went outside he was likely to stalk me and attack my legs as I went to the car. He didn’t use claws he was just showing me he was on the job. Often I sat on the porch and he would come for a long pet job. He wanted scritching . Great cat.
My old Siamese ,14, was the most loving cat I ever saw. He wanted to sit in my lap all the time. If all cats were like him we would be knee deep in cats. Affectionate and pretty too.

Oh, people are so mean about Burger. He’s terrified!

One more advantage of a shelter cat: you usually get a cat that’s already spayed or neutered. You don’t have to deal with an unspayed female cat going into heat, which can involve yowling or spraying. Nor do you have to deal with an unneutered male cat spraying, yowling, or being aggressive. You don’t have to deal with scheduling an appointment with the veterinarian for spaying or neutering. And you don’t have to pay for it. Spaying a female cat can cost more than $100 in some areas.

Don’t get a longhair if you don’t want to deal with brushing.

Two cats aren’t really much more work than one, and it’s fun to watch them play together. Two cats is especially good if the cats will be alone in the house all day.

FWIW just an allergy note - I’m horribly allergic to cats but the breed I’m most allergic to is Siamese. Not sure why but even if a cat is only part Siamese, my allergies start acting up within a few minutes of walking into the house. Don’t know if your daughter or family has any allergy issues but just thought I’d share.

Why the hate for calicos? My Tikva is a big beautiful wonderful calico (well, torbie to be exact) kitty.

Actually, come to think of it, Tikva wouldn’t really fit your criteria. She’s the sweetest most loving cat ever, but she HATES being picked up- I’ve got about a two minute grace period before she decides she WANTS DOWN NOW. And that’s only holding her while standing still- try to carry her anywhere and you’re taking your life in your hands. We won’t talk about vet visits. Also, after four years she still hasn’t quite figured out the “claws make the human bleed” thing. And she’s terrified of most other humans.

But she loves me, she sleeps in bed with me, she constantly talks to me, she follows me around, and she has the softest fur. (I think I was petting her in my sleep last night- I was dreaming that I was petting a fawn, and its fur felt just like hers).
This morning I was watching her investigating a bag full of toy mice. I was going to use them for an art project, but Tikva, half her body inside the bag, decided to put them to their intended use. It was quite fun to look at.

Equipoise had one of those, and he was indeed the sweetest, most affectionate cat possible. All he wanted was to be held by and to lay on her. Died of cancer a few years back.

Or then there’s the method my mom has used for as long as I can remember: She doesn’t find cats at the shelter, because she doesn’t find them anywhere. They find her. Almost all of our cats have been strays that started eating out of our existing cats’ outdoor food dishes, and next thing you know, they have names and have gone in for their shots and fixing. The result is that they’ve generally liked us reasonably well, since they chose us in the first place, though some of them have been rather aloof. Only once did one decide to move out after all, since he apparently didn’t like the idea of having a quadruped housemate five times his size (even though Bowser is a big softy). Oh, and the calico who attacked my sister, we had relocated to a relative’s farm, where she could put those claws to good productive use.

You probably don’t want to go with an Attack Cat. :smiley: OTOH if it were to really like your daughter, you wouldn’t have to worry too much about her safety.

Both of the tortoiseshells we’ve had have come with “tortitude” – very independent, with occasional streaks of insanity. My cousin breeds Maine coon cats, and she seconds the “tortitude” gene.

Ok, I need to point out that color has absolutely NOTHING to do with personality.

On “Burger”'s video, it looked like a kennel/clinic/shelter type set up. Whoever the heck was poking a camera at that cat should have their ass fired. But I’m not opinionated, or anything…

Go to a local Humane Society. I would advise against a “no-kill” shelter, to be honest, because they will be full of cats that are not very adoptable. The other shelters have already weeded out the “really shouldn’t be a pet” cats.

Please do not buy from a pet shop. No matter HOW they word it, they are buying from kitten-mills. There are, however, pet supply stores that will display cats for shelters.

A seven year old should be pretty good with a cat, I’d think - our neighbor’s 5 year old is pretty good with ours. But, yeah, cat might be fairer than kitten. If you go to the shelter in advance, ask which cats seem most tolerant, check them out yourself - then let your daughter pick from 3 or 4 of your (and the staff’s) top picks.

Oh - and has your daughter ever been around cats? Definitely NOT allergic? Hate to break her heart AFTER she brings a kitty home, but I’ve seen it happen a lot.

I’d suggest that you consider getting two cats – an older one who is willing to deal with an active child, and a younger kitten. Besides giving your daughter options (when one doesn’t want to play, the other probably will), the two of them will keep each other company when they are alone in the house. (Also, when the time comes that the older cat ‘passes on’, the younger one will have grown up (and you can get a new kitten for the household).

Do check to make sure the two cats don’t hate each other while at the shelter. Don’t expect them to suddenly be best friends, when they are new to each other and in a stressful location like that. But check for actual hatred. The shelter people should be able to tell you what behaviors to look for.

I have one, and while he’s perfectly happy as an indoor cat, I’d also suggest staying away from the breed. He’s an 18-pound furry wrecking ball. He requires a lot of grooming to remove mats from his fur and such. I’ve never had a long-haired cat before and he’s enough to make me never want one again. He tries to be sweet and affectionate but with his size it tends to be smothering.

I think a Maine Coon would be good temperamentally with a child, but it is not a breed to be taken lightly.