Any countries where certain professions don't exist?

I don’t know, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all to learn there are one or two working on the down low. :wink: OTOH, you could go a few hundred feet into Italy and find them there.

Vatican City has an official population of what, about 200? So if you make a list of professions longer than that, you’re guaranteed to get some misses. Of course, the real list would be much easier, since many of the people in Vatican City share professions (an awful lot of them are clergy, for starters).

Or mohels.

So, who circumcises all those little Muslim baby boys? I wondered about that, and it looks like anyone can do it.

Yeah that sounds a little too “no true Scotsman” to me–our people would never tell on each other. Now if there’s a difference between the Irish and American legal systems that makes it harder to use this evidence, that’s a separate thing.

I was coming in to mention that. In Canada, putting up bail money to raise a profit is a criminal offence, as a sub-set of obstruction of justice. Individuals can post bail for family members or friends, provided it’s not being done as a business.

Hence, no bail bondsmen as a profession.

Is bail a lot lower? From what I recall, no, at least not in many countries. How is it affordable. Four states apparently don’t do bail bonds, but the 10% is paid as a deposit, I think.

It is not necessarily lower. By putting the burden on friends and family (who may have mortgaged the house for bail), what it does do is to ensure that friends and family have an incentive to make sure that the accused shows up in court at the appointed date and time. In other words, by putting their own money on the line, it is assumed that they will not help the accused to flee the jurisdiction, especially when their house, or other assets, are at stake.

The accused always has the option to remain in custody. If the accused opts for that, no sureties (i.e. bail) will be necessary.

Being an informer in Ireland is not a profession, but a vocation.
As for the Vatican, there are under 900 residents ( only 220+ are citizens: conversely others are citizens, but not residents ) of whom:
Statistics published in the year 2011 it was mentioned that there were 32 Women Citizens in Vatican City State at the time. Of these women 31 were laywoman and one was a Nun.*

The Vatican . Com

I bet there aren’t many brewmasters, distillers, or vinters in Saudi Arabia.

In western countries I expect you can find anything.

Well…

Welcome to Bayda, Libya.

I was going to say: I bet there are no prostitutes in Saudi Arabia. But then: of course there are, just probably no streetwalkers.

There are military bases, which would make all these easier, if not possible at “normal” levels.

My impression is that bail in Canada is based a lot more on assessments of the accused’s likelihood to flee or pose a risk to the public, than on a money bail. Mrs Piper used to be a Crown; she told me once that she rarely asked for a financial surety.

There must be at least a few, since some movie theatres were reopened a few years ago. No idea if they’re still operating or if this was just a one-time event to promote Menahi.

The US military permits prostitution at normal levels on its foreign bases? How do the prostitutes get in? The last time I drove up to a foreign US military base (quite accidentally), some angry soldiers came running at us with machine guns and made us turn around. I don’t think they would have been more inviting if we claimed we were there to service the local soldiers.

Are there any private detectives in Ireland, though? I’m just across the border in the UK and I don’t think we really have them here. The reasons may be spurious, but the lack of of them may be true.

There are no coroners in Germany (which is also the case, I believe, in other European countries).

And their knives are unbelievably awesome.

http://www.privatedetectiveireland.com

No Formula One drivers in the USA. :frowning: