Any countries where certain professions don't exist?

I would say they have pretty much disappeared from societies where women are treated as full people.

No railroad engineers in Iceland.

How do you figure? There are plenty of matchmakers here in the US. Matchmakers mostly just introduce people; their decisions aren’t binding.

Not the ones where cigarette lighter use is widespread.

In some places, like Orange County CA, the county sheriff is also the coroner by default. In CA, a coroner is more an administrative position that oversees the pathologists and investigators. A medical examiner is an MD though.

I work as an embalmer, and I’m pretty sure that my job is non-existent in many countries, especially in the middle east. We’ve gotten bodies shipped in dry ice, or at best, embalmed at a medical school like a cadaver, which makes my life hell if the family wants a viewing on our end.

Actually, there are some states in the U.S. where I wonder if anyone knows how to embalm.

No one flipping hamburgers at McDonalds…in Cuba.

Great series and in the past that was true. I went to Ireland when I was stationed in the UK in the 1980s and they didn’t have PIs. They DID , however, enjoy American series with them and they would ask all sorts questions about if the shows were true or not. They were sadden to hear that most were bullshit.

However, according to this article from Cork, Ireland’s newspaper, private detectives are now legalhttp://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0524/ireland/investigators-help-snoop-and-protect-194903.html

For a long time the country Nauru had no military members. It now has a tiny guard force which has both military and police powers.

North Korea has no political campaign managers.

Andorra, Grenada,Samoaand Tuvalu all have no standing military.

Looks like Grenada has a police force which I think de facto could function as an army. Wikipedia implies it’s a military. And a Coast Guard. And I wouldn’t invade Andorra at least. Jokes about the French Army aside, that doesn’t sound like a good plan. Tuvalu would of course pull all .tv web addresses, causing the world to accede to their demands (or at least in the early 2000s when .tv was really popular).

I think there are no/not many snake handlers outside of the US and Canada? Especially in countries with no Evangelical or even Christian influence.

Not necessarily, since it’s perfectly possible to serve non-alcoholic drinks and even non-alcoholic cocktails at a bar.

There are no US-style court stenographers (court reporters) in Germany - courts do not keep a verbatim record of proceedings; if in exeptional circumstances testimony is to be entered in the record verbatim this is done by dictating to the clerk (for short passages) or by taping and later typing up (for longer testimony).

There are persons with the skill of verbatim real-time recording, though - they record parliamentary debates.

A “bar” that served only non-alcoholic drinks, however, would generally not fit the normal usage of bar in Western countries (without qualifiers such as coffee bar or milk bar). A bartender is presumed to be someone engaged in selling alcohol.

I’m a little confused- are we looking for places where

1. certain job functions don’t exist (bail bondsmen in a place where it is illegal to post bail for a profit) , or

2. places where the functions are organized into job titles differently ( the US doesn’t have barristers or solicitors , but the single job title of “attorney” includes people who perform both functions) or

3. places where the job function exists but the title is different because the location of the job is different ( places where verbatim stenography exists, but isn’t used in courts therefore no title of “court reporter”)

Or do any of these situations count?

There are no Zamboni drivers in Zimbabwe.

Are you sure? According to Frank Magazine, Chretien’s government spent a lot of money subsidizing Zamboni sales to Africa. Several conservatives at the time waxed very indignant about this waste of money in interviews with the magazine.

Yep.

umm…how about India ?

Costa rica has no military, so no assault troops. I would assume many developed nations do not have lobbyists. North Korea probably doesn’t have a weight loss industry.

See post #7. The fringe Christians get their jollies from holding snakes. These guys hold them but are less about that; it’s a job to get some tourist dollars, mostly. Snake handlers don’t typically live in tourist meccas.

It’s called “everyday life.” But I’m sure that Kim Jong-un’s (current) arm candy gets some sort of training or exercise program. Wouldn’t want her to look chubby next to her dashing, svelte husband. :smiley:

Certainly.
I just learned for instance that in Louisiana, if any MD runs for the elected Coroner position, the MD always wins-but if no MD is running anyone can win the election and serve as Coroner. Of course, in most circumstances even the MD Coroners (it is a part-time position) hire pathologists to perform the actual autopsies. In most places the Coroner is an primarily an administrative position, not a technical one.

right here “mutahfucker”

http://www.cifiaonline.com/prostitutionlegalized.htm

the quoted item will make sense if you read the article