Any fans of the film "That Thing You Do"

One time I was describing TTYD to someone, and they asked me if the title song was catchy. I said it wasn’t as good as a great early Beatles song, but was like a good early Beatles song… but without a smart (Beatles-type) arrangement.

So really the Beatles are probably not the best comparison to make. Lennon-Mac also usually came up with a better middle-eight than the one in TTYD (the song.)

Anyway… anyone have a 1960s song you think is a close equivalent in terms of catchiness and artistic value?

Something by Gerrey and the Pacemakers maybe? I know “Ferry 'cross the Mersey” is too slow to compare, really.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding was produced by Play-Tone . . . and I advise any fans of That Thing You Do to listen closely to what the band is playing in the first part of the scene at the wedding reception.

I would say maybe “Glad All Over” by the Dave Clark Five or “Him or Me” by Paul Revere and the Raiders.

Compare That Thing You Do with Gerry and the Pacemaker’s How Do You Do It (if you have the Beatles Anthology discs, then you know that they can make anything sound good, even that not-so-great song. The Beatles declined to record it because they couldn’t go back to Liverpool with that).

I always compare That Thing You Do to I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

The scream at the end of the line “and I just can’t take it anymore” just before the guitar solo is very Beatles.

Of course the way the band was dressed was also very “early” Beatles-esque.

The Oneders are an alternate universe Beatles.

Yeah, and the accompanying head-shake!

Not a bad comparison, it’s even got the similar title.

Another possibility that’s got a touch more of TTYD’s euphoria is Freddy and the Dreamers I’m Telling You Now.

Any time either my mom or I see it on cable TV, we will watch it from that point to the end. It’s one of a few movies that are like that (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and ROTLA are like that too). Didn’t know there was a director’s cut.

Almost Famous

And by the way, I love the song. Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne is a master at songcraft and this song is a perfectly polished pop gem. It sticks in your brain like a good pop song should, has enough melodic interest to feel not quite like a guilty pleasure (as opposed to, say, Oh Mickey) but lacks the lyrical substance or wordplay that would push it into Beatles territory (e.g., Please Please Me)…

If you like that type of power pop, **Welcome Interstate Managers **by FoW is just wonderful…

Love this movie! I usually tell people it is my favourite movie because of how much I still continue to enjoy it after having watched it at least 25 times. I annually watch it on Tom Hanks’ birthday ( July 9th) and have hosted watch parties over the past few years. Still surprised to see copies of the 45 record go for over $100 on eBay. The director’s cut is awesome. We get to see the why behind the ‘I am Spartacus’ line. Fairly authentic props are highlighted from the 60’s right down to the clock radios. You have to love the music in order to truly love the movie. Has but one swear word in it and is a pretty wholesome movie to watch in any company. I became a fan of Fountains of Wayne because of this movie. So sad we lost Adam to Covid in 2020. " You guys are way better than anything." -Chrissy Tompkins