Any "Get Smart" fans?

Post #3.

Enjoy. Made quite an impression on my 14-year-old hormones.

I was so mad when they cast Ms goony face Hathaway in the role originated by the gorgeous Barbara Feldon. Between her and Julie Newmar on Batman, wow, I might not have hit puberty yet when watching those shows, but even still I knew those dames were the stuff.

Gulp!

Loved it as a kid, but it doesn’t hold up well. But I did have a crush on Barbara Feldon because of her role in a Man From U.N.C.L.E. episode.

The first scene in the first episode was prescient: it showed an audience in a theater being disturbed by the ringing of a phone among them.

*“The Never Never Affair.”

I disagree. The Cold War is over, we have smartphones instead of shoe phones, it’s 70 years after WWII instead of 20… But I think the comedy holds up if you were a kid in the era. The biggest problem I see is that ‘kids today’ won’t catch the references. (Even the title. When was the last time you heard anyone tell someone to get smart? Heck, I don’t think I ever have IRL.) But the jokes are still funny, Don Adams (in the show) is still funny, and Barbara Feldon (in the show) is still hot.

Barbara Feldon, BTW turns 83 in a couple of months. [cue sound of Pac Man dying.]

Linguist in UNCLE’s Portuguese Section! “The weather forecast for Brazil today is…”

Since I explained this joke to my boys and showed them a few YouTube clips this has proved a great way to get them to stop doing inappropriate things. If I just say “don’t do that”, they will often carry on. But if I say in a silly German accent “[name], zis iss a restaurant, ve don’t [insert activity] here!” they will laugh and stop.

I just watched the first few episodes of Season One and I want to tell you all that I just fell in love with Barbara Feldon all over again.

OMG! What a beautiful lady. I have always loved her as much as it is possible for any man to love any woman. She is just the best. The very best!

As soon as I finished I watched Season One Episdode Twenty of the TV show, “Mad About You”. It is titled, “The Spy Girl Who Loved Me”? Does that ring a bell"?

Spy Girl was the name of a character that Barbara Feldon played on a ficticious show called, “Spy Girl”. Ira was in love with her.

Who wouldn’t be in love with her?

Agent 38, aka “Charlie Watkins”:

WHAT?

I have to disagree that it doesn’t hold up.

As long as 99 is in an episode (and she is in all of them, I think), it holds up as well as it ever could.

I love watching her.

Thank you for posting that “tiger” commercial. I had never seen that before. It looks like she made that several years before she acted in Get Smart.

P.S. Has anyone here ever driven a Sunbeam Tiger? It was an unbelievable car. They all had V8 engines. I worked weekends in a service station in 1964 and one of the customers brought one in for some servicing. The boss told me to drive it back to his place and pick him up.

When I stepped on the gas, my life changed forever. I never had imagined that any car could perform like that. My eyes were opened up to performance automobiles. What a thrilling experience.

Years later, I discovered they also had superior suspensions, braking and steering systems. I wonder why they never became wildly popular. Maybe it was because the Corvette, Shelby Mustangs and Dodge Chargers came on the scene around the same time and people preferred bigger tougher muscle cars.

But that Sunbeam Tiger was a wonder to behold. What a car!

The car that Max drove was actually a Sunbeam Alpine, but with the trim of a Tiger (the bodies were identical). The reason was that the Alpine had a smaller engine, which left room for machine guns, etc., to be mounted under the hood for when they had to be shown.

This is true. But is it entirely true? Was there ‘hero’ car that was a Tiger, and an ‘effects’ car that was an Alpine?

During the credits Max drove a blue VW Karmann Ghia after the Sunbeam, and a gold Opel GT after the VW. ISTR he drove some sort of Ferrari in the pilot episode, but I don’t know what model.

I thought Barbara Feldon was too hot for her role (I was a kid back then.) I felt offended by that episode wherein a hand-held device could literally stupefy someone. Smart accidentally froze Agent 99. Then after considering, he started kissing her. Then he kissed her in the lips and stupefied himself.

I just watched that episode of Mad About You.

As I recall, the later seasons were not all that good. But that episode (S1E20) was really hilarious. If anyone is interested, I can really recommend that episode. It was great.

I think maybe the first year of Mad About You was superior to the following seasons.