Any "Get Smart" fans?

I haven’t seen an episode in decades, but the joke that sticks in my mind is when Max is undercover as an army officer seeing a (Kaos) psychiatrist and he tells him about the secret project he was working on: “A trip to the moon on gossamer wings!”. The psychiatrist asks him “And what happened?” and he answers “It was just one of those things.”

A corny joke, but the deadpan way Don Adams says “A trip to the moon on gossamer wings!” in his Maxwell Smart voice makes he laugh just to think of it.

Not Craw… CRAW!

Anybody else remember Don Adams as Inspector Glick on The Bill Dana Show before he was on Get Smart? It was a very similar character.

If you liked ‘Get smart’, I’m sure you’d enjoy Peter Sellers in the ‘Pink Panther’ films (which always featured gorgeous women too. :slight_smile: )

Here’s a sample ‘Does your dog bite?’.

Don’t tell me it’s another thread full of Get Smart running gags…

I asked you not to tell me that!

Sorry about that, Chief!

That’s the second biggest co-incidence I’ve ever seen!

I’m a HUGE Get Smart fan, and have been since its original run. I even have a Sunbeam Tiger key fob. I bought my house partly because it’s on Larrabee Street in Chicago - how could I resist? I DVR the shows from MeTV on a regular basis. One of my top five TV theme songs of all time. And I still have a thing for women with deep throaty voices.

I have the the complete series on DVD and I use Get Smart quotes frequently. Does that make me a fan? :smiley:

Oh, and speaking of the DVDs, for a couple of months I’ve been thinking about watching them again. Might be about time.

One bit that I liked was when Don Rickles appeared as Max’s old Army buddy. ‘Sid Krimm’ does’t believe Max is a spy, so Max calls the President. We only see and hear Krimm’s side of the conversation. At the end, Krimm tells Max, ‘I didn’t vote for him, but I use his baby powder.’

99 (looking down at the chasm): Max, how deep do you think it is?
Max: About half a mile.
99 (looking at the bridge, which they clearly don’t trust to hold them): Max, if you took a running jump, how far do you think you’d get?
Max: Oh, about half a mile.

Come on, Hymie, shake a leg!

What, no mention of the 1995 sequel series (with Andy Dick and “she’s off at college so we don’t need to cast anybody” as the twins, now grown up)?

I first saw Get Smart as late night reruns when I was in high school in the 1980s. I seldom had less than 4 hours of homework so I didn’t turn the TV on until about 9 or 9:30 at night. A local TV station showed Get Smart, Hogan’s Heroes and the Honeymooners every week night.

My favorite Get Smart scene was in an episode where 86 had to teach a class to some Kontrol agents. 86 used his pointed finger to teach them how to disarm somebody. After they took the “gun” away from each other a few times one of them dropped it and they all started looking for it. I’m amazed it didn’t go off.

I watched the first season on DVD from the library and I remember some of the episodes from TV re-runs that I saw back in the 1980s, but I didn’t remember how jealous 99 was or how little attention 86 paid to her.

Also, they should have had the Chief do more singing. I recognized his picture when I read the script for the Rodgers and Hammerstein show Allegro. He had a fine singing voice.

I once had a neighborhood mama cat drop one of her kittens off at my house. I named him Siegfried. For some reason a black girl who lived in my neighborhood was absolutely terrified of the animal. But, both cat and Kaos agent were equally harmless.

I own seasons 1-4 of the show. It is one of the few 60s shows both my kids really enjoyed watching. The catchphrases made the show of course.

I would be willing to say it was the second best sitcom of the sixties, you know, it missed first by this much. I think Dick Van Dyke Show was the best and actually by far the best as its quality and writing was unmatched by anything before and almost everything after.

We all enjoyed the movie, we own it in fact, it was only $5 and thus worth it.

One of my favorite lines in the entire series was in the episode “The Reluctant Redhead”. Max is trying to recruit a children’s author who can help them obtain information on KAOS. Hiding his identity and motives, Max approaches her at a bookstore she’s appearing at. While she’s signing his copies of her books, Max wanders a few feet into the aisles and gets into some fisticuffs with a KAOS agent bent on killing him. After prevailing, Max returns to the author’s table, and answers her query about where he’d briefly disappeared to: “Oh, I picked up a copy of ‘War and Peace’ and got a little… involved”.

Then there was the time Max brought a guy (played by Don Rickles) to the Chief and explained, “Chief, this guy has an address book that would crack KAOS wide open, but he won’t let me have it, because he doesn’t believe I’m a Control agent, and he thinks I’m crazy. Chief, tell him I’m a Control agent, and that I’m not crazy”.

(awkward silence)

"Well, Chief, at least tell him that I’m a Control agent!"

Max and 99 were kneeling over a fallen agent.

Max: “Do you think he’s dead?”
99: “Yes.”
Max: “Me too.”
Agent on the ground: “No!”
Max: “Well, that’s two for, and one against.”