Any good free illustrating programs?

I want to edit some pictures for a project I’m working on, the program doesn’t need to have tons of bells and whistles and I don’t have the $500 to spend on Adobe Illustrator. All I want is to import JPGs, modify them, and then put them on a PDF.

Any good free ones out there?

Inkscape. Free, open source vector editor. Inkscape is to Illustrator as GIMP is to Photoshop, if that makes any sense to you.

If you just need a bitmap editor to tweak JPEGs, paint.NET is easy to use and does most of what you need. Or if you’re looking for really easy, really basic photo retouching, I tend to recommend Picasa. It has easy blemish and redeye removal, and can autolevel to tweak brightness and contrast well.

You’re the man, I’ll look into it.

Illustrator is a vector art program that you ordinarily wouldn’t use to edit JPEGs. Are you sure you don’t want a photo editor such as Photoshop or GIMP?

Possibly, Inkscape doesn’t really seem to be moron friendly.

I’ll give those a shot too.

my vote, GIMP

Great little program, and it’s worth the little effort to learn. Quick Google search for tutorials, and your off. I often break it out when I don’t feel like the hassle of photoshop.

Another vote for Inkscape and/or GIMP. I think Inkscape is a little more intuitive, personally, but it’s easy enough to learn either one.

The HASSLE of Photoshop? Gimp fights you every step of the way with it’s gawdawful interface. Photoshop is a breeze.

Seriously, GIMP is one of the worst designed programs I’ve ever seen. The user-friendly Photoshop-lite is Paint.Net.

If you just want to do basic photo editing, you can’t beat XnView. It’s free and it’ll do most of the basic things to clean up photo, use various filters, convert formats and such

Paint.Net is incredibly simple and would be almost perfect, however I can’t seem to increase the resolution and any images I make look rough.

Is it possible to change the pixel size?

Nevermind, figured it out.

Paint.Net is perfect for my needs.

Thanks everyone.