Any non-Christians going to see The Passion?

I’m not a Christian, and I really have no desire to go see this movie. From what I understand the violence is horrific, and I’m not sure I would appreciate the spiritual context in light of the violence.

If you are a Christian and you are not going to see the movie, why? And if you are a non-Christian, will you be going to see the movie?

This answer may be a bit wishy-washy.

I was raised a Jew, but also spent quite a bit of time attending Quaker Meeting for Worship. I now associate with Quakerism and have been attending Meeting since last summer. At this point I will admit I do not see myself as Christian as much as Pacifist.

I cannot wait to see this film. Considering the immense impact the live and death of Jesus has had on the last 2,000 years of humanity I cannot see how I’d NOT want to see it. I suspect I will be sickened by the gore. Then again, I believe that’s the very point of the gore we are shown.

By early next week I hope to have seen the film. I may go as early as tomorrow, to see it.

Cartooniverse

For movies that open with a lot of hype, I generally pour over reviews looking to see whether it’s all hype or whether, as a movie, it’s well done. For this one I’ve been having a lot of trouble trusting the reviewers. I knew there would be some who would give it a fantastic review and others that would give it a terrible review for no other reasons than they already have a great deal of emotional investment in the material (either positive or negative) and are unable to seperate themselves from their emotions. For these types of movies, I go to these guys.

A.O. Scott of the New York Times said this and Rick Groen of the Toronto Globe and Mail said this. One would think that now I wouldn’t see the move, but really it’s quite the opposite. I want to see it now more than ever so I can better understand their reasoning. The trick is, to find a reviewer who’s reasoning you want to understand; I have, in these two. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t want to see it.

Oh yeah, I forget. I’m a non-Christian.

I’m a skeptical agnostic, and I want to see it, but I’m not sure I want to see it in the theater. I know the gore will be that much gorier on the big screen, but I sure do like the comfort of the Kalhoun Theatre, where I can smoke and view in my underwear, and I don’t have to pay five bucks for a fucking bag of M&Ms.

I’m mostly interested in it from an artistic standpoint. I hear it’s beautifully filmed, even if it’s ultra-violent.

I won’t pay money to see it - at least not directly. I’ll probably give it a whirl when it’s aired on cable.

Ook, sounds messy. I hope you wipe up.

I’m a hardcore moviehead, so I’ll see it eventually.

Although I’m an atheist, I’m fascinated and impressed by religious hysterics: Joan of Arc, Flannery O’Connor’s characters, Rossellini’s Europa 51, the historical Jesus, etc. So I expected to get a lot of this film as a piece of art. But everything I’ve heard about it so far bothers me not a little.

So I’ll see it so I can condemn it without being a hypocrit.

I’m a Christian (Greek Orthodox). I signed up to see it as part of a singles group outing. (Would this be sort of like making out during Schindler’s List ?)

From what I understand, it’s a very insular group seeing the movie—not an “evangelism tool,” or whatever (although, in truth, “evangelism tools” aren’t really our m.o. anyway).

However, after reading more about the movie the last few days (less about the controversial aspects and more about the actual images), I’m not so sure I really want to.

I’m not shy about seeing violent movies in other contexts (i.e., action/horror), but I am here. The only reason I can think of is that I don’t want a movie to comprise my lasting image of the crucifixion, but from what I’ve heard, the movie is that affecting. In addition, because of the particular branch of Christianity in which I have been raised (and remain as an adult), I find it peculiar to devote so much attention to the crucifixion and (apparently) so little to the resurrection. But that’s just me, and I don’t intend to hijack this into a theological debate.

Given all the talk about this movie, I will see it. My main interest is to see the gore content. and I am a non-christian

I can tell you why a older Christian friend of mine isn’t going to see it. He was raised Roman Catholic, and he said he already been raised with enough guilt about Jesus’ suffering and death, he doesn’t need a graphic reminder of it.

Yeah, reading reviews for this one hasn’t been a whole lot of fun. Reviewers don’t generally determine whether or not I’ll see a movie (although they have in the case of Pearl Harbour and Planet of the Apes - in these cases, I chose not to). What they do do, is give me a little insight into what to look for when I am watching a movie - give me a cheat sheet I guess. I’ll decide whether I agree or not after the movie.

For this movie, while reading reviews, it seemed that they were looking for reasons to like or dislike the movie. I was having a hard time finding a review of this movie that seemed to be an honest review of it as an actual movie, not as a religious experience (or whatever). The two reviews I linked to were about the best I could find.

An agnostic chiming in:

I will probably see the movie. I think it’s a historically significant film (landmark cinema), and in general I admire Mel Gibson’s ambition concerning the project.

My only hesitation is that…I think I get that the fact Jesus’ last 12 hours were no picnic…I’m not sure I need to see it on film.

Atheist here.

Won’t go see The Passion for the simple fact that I seldom get the time to see movies these days. If I am going to make the time to see a film, it sure won’t be for a blood-splattered evangelical love-in – I want something entertaining for my $8.50, thankyouverymuch.

The only way I’d go see The Passion is if I were allowed to MST3K it in the theater… :wink:

I’m an atheist and I definitely plan to see it in the theater. It’s the most talked-about movie of the year and the effect won’t be the same on the small screen, and as much as I loathe Mel he’s going to be stinking-rich with or without my money. I just hope that I can put aside advance buzz, my dislike of Mel, the historical inaccuracies and other preconceived notions enough to weigh the movie objectively as a cinematic work of art.

I rarely think a movie is worth dropping $8.50 on, so I’ll probably see it when it hits Netflix, if for no other reason than to see what all the fuss was about.

I’m a formerly-Catholic-with-a-little-Presbyterian-for-flavor atheist, if it matters.

I’m an atheist, and I’ll be making an effort to see the movie within the first week of its release because, well, I see pretty much everything. The trick, I think, will be to watch it as a movie instead of (or at least in addition to) watching it as theology. In other words, how is it shot, edited, scored, etc., not just what is Mel trying to say spiritually.

I’m an atheist, and I’m interested in seeing it just so I can speak intelligently about it. I hate it when people criticize art they’ve never actually seen/read/watched.

However, my movie-going opportunities are very precious, what with having a nursing seven-month-old, and I’m not going to squander a fun night on the town on hyperviolent religious propaganda.

I’ll probably Netflix it. Despite my clear bias, I’ll try to judge the movie on its own merits, but I have a feeling I’ll be rolling my eyes more than once.

Perhaps its relevant that when I was a Catholic kid, I always hated that part of the Good Friday service where the congregation had to play the part of the crowd condemning Jesus to death. I never bought nor liked the whole guilt-by-association (being human) thing.

Atheist checking in…

I’m going to see it at a matinee tomorrow afternoon.

Like Cervaise, I’m looking forward to seeing how it does artistically. I’m hoping for something good in what actual story is present in the film, and for the rest I’m looking for talented cinematography and a good score that supports the emotional drive of the film. As a secular person, I don’t have the built-in theological beliefs that will simply deposit an emotional context on the Christian viewers. But we regularly get emotionally involved with completely fictional characters on screen, so what I think of the truth of the backstory and underlying facts won’t really enter into it for me. Ebert gave it good marks on artistic merit, so I’m trusting his opinion as I usually do in that regard.

Other reasons to see the film, aside from hoping for a strong artistic vision, abound. This will probably be the most talked-about film of the year, hordes of people are going to see it, and it remains surrounded in controversy. One can hardly speak intelligently about a film’s merit, either artistic or political or cultural or otherwise, without having seen it as a starting point.

Ultimately, I think this film will fly or fall with secular viewers based on its quality, and nothing else. I suspect, and reviewers are confirming, that there is alot of talent in the making of this picture, and hope to enjoy that part of it. Whether the violence will be distracting is a concern, though. I enjoyed Kill Bill, but that sort of cartoonish violence is quite different from that here.

Exactly. Thouhg I don’t give a whit about Mel Gibson’s take on the Crucifixion; I am very interested in the film’s quality. Although, as it is going up against La Passion De Jeanne d’Arc, it’ll have a hard row to hoe in my book.

I’m religion free, but I’ll probably see it when it hits the theatres here in April. The reason? The impact Christianty has had on just about any society on the planet at one time or all the time during almost 2000 years. Spirituality is fascinating.

I’m an atheist, but the movie look visually beautiful. Not sure I’d go see in the theater, but I’ll probably rent it or watch it on cable.

Unless some butthole spoils it for me and tells me how it ends!!! :wink: