Any non-US folks celebrating Thanksgiving today?

We’ve already got every second advert on TV telling us how utterly inadequate we’ll be if we don’t have the perfect family Christmas dinner next month (and spend roughly the national debt of a small third world country to do so). I really can’t imagine doing it all twice in such a short space of time.

Ungrateful bastards! :wink:

No. Why would we?

I can do that any time I want. Tends to be Xmas dinner round here. And Xmas is far too enormous an event to want to have a similar event a few weeks earlier.

Here’s Wikipedia’s summary of observance of Thangsginv round the world. It’s a very short list! Six countries, including the US.

Corned beef and cabbage, potatoes in any form, Irish soda bread, and lots of alcohol.

I moved three or four threads from Cafe Society to MPSIMS today – you should have no problem finding fellow sufferers. :wink:

My wife makes a mean Guiness pie.

Remember, to us, pies with meat in them are an exotic foreign food.

Despite every single US TV show referencing it at least fifty times, I still don’t really know nor care what it’s all about.

I have several Norskie friends who joke that we should celebrate it here, because any holiday that revolves around food and drink and has no other expectations sounds just fine to them, especially in the long slog between summer vacation and Christmas. But in that case, they should probably consider the Canadian Thanksgiving before the American version - it’s closer to the harvest (nothing has been growing for a month at least up here at the sixtieth parallel) and comes without the Pilgrims-and-Indians baggage.

Our local supermarket has put turkeys on sale during US Thanksgiving week for three years running now. There must be more American expats around than I thought…

That is what my viking Eve Online corpmates say, anything involving food seems to interest them :smiley: We actually seem to spend an amazing amount of time chatting about food, and exchanging recipes.

He hooked me up with some seriously nice looking pig based recipes, and I was telling them about what we were going to cook for thanksgiving and so I am going to make at least a couple items for them next summer when we get together for the Northern Coalition Blob party in Germany =) Turkey, dressing, dirty rice … I can’t wait!

I can’t help but feel this thread is a bit like a New Zealander asking if Waitangi Day is celebrated by non-Kiwis anywhere… of course it isn’t, because the historical event/context being celebrated didn’t play out in the same way elsewhere for whatever reason.

off to search for Waitangi Day

The closest I come to celebrating T-Day is using all those T-Day threads as an excuse to count my blessings. Even if I was interested in having a T-Day meal (which I’m definitely not), a lot of the ingredients are pretty much unfindable here; like that T-Day at the home of my Italo-Spanish-Venezuelan-American cousins, the menu would end up being atypical.

So… what do you guys eat on Waitangi Day?

Not this one. It just makes me sad and homesick and want my mom. My friends were humouring me, and my husband doesn’t get the significance.

Plus, turkey here is like a chicken with pretensions. MAN are they small.

Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving. :frowning:

The vast majority of people in Europe probably don’t even know it’s thanksgiving day. The only people who do will have friends from the usa or have seen it mentioned by an american on the internet.

You’re underestimating the power of American movies and TV shows. While they’re one season off, some TV stations have thoughtful people who set up series so that the Halloween special actually falls on Halloween and the show with turkey falls on Thanksgiving. Apparently those people are, like me, old enough to remember watching Christmas shows in April, just as the thermometer started climbing past 30ºC, and finding the mismatch enormously confusing.

Just yesterday the conversation around lunchtime at work was on Black Friday, which one of my coworkers discovered this year, two others knew about previously, and I explained that it wasn’t “the first day of the sales season” as they thought, more like “a one-day sales season” so it makes the old January 2nd rush look polite (sales season is more spread out nowadays, with different sectors starting it on different days).

Perhaps I don’t watch enough american tv. I certainly don’t remember ever hearing anyone over here mentioning it being thanksgiving but I guess they could be aware of when it is.

Depending how much advantage of the day off you feel like having, either “A BBQ or maybe a Hangi, otherwise nothing special”. The point I was making is that it’s a specific, localised event and it’s highly unlikely anyone else would be celebrating it (signing of the Treaty that allowed for European colonisation of New Zealand) since it’s got nothing to do with them at all, basically. :stuck_out_tongue:

We always celebrate two Thanksgivings. In part because we love turkey and having friends over, but mostly because we figure we have so much to be thankful for. Also I am slowly indoctrinating others to my way of thinking.

Plus, while the traditional Thanksgiving is all about family and carries a little pressure, to appear, for the food to be perfect, and, of course, the potential for family drama, the second Thanksgiving is more casual, more the clan you made than the clan you were given. You can freely alter the menu to try new things without upsetting anyone. It’s just a more relaxed and fun version, really.

I tell all the women in my life that if you were born a female in the first world, that’s worthy of a day of celebration, in itself. Although I admit to changing it up, year to year, about why we should all be twice as thankful. I never seem to be short of reasons!

Thanksgiving in the US sense doesn’t exist here, and outside US expats, or other people associated with US culture, I’ve never heard about it. Yes, US TV series show it, but my own guess is that it’s far too much stress to have the whole family over and cook a big dinner, esp. when all this is done again on Christmas. There’s also no day off. Also, the turkey is not a big thing here.

Halloween has become popular partly because pumpkins also grow here, partly because for teenagers it’s an excuse to party - that’s what started it, they saw the Halloween parties on US TV series and copied that. Pumpkin carving and pumpkin recipes appeal to the younger kids and the craft people have an opportunity to occupy them.

The feast of giving thanks for the harvest is on the first Sunday of October. It’s celebrated in Church, where a sampling of the harvest is brought to the altar. In the countryside and villages, there’s a procession before hand, often with a crown of four types of grain and a harvest queen (a young teenage girl). Then you thank God that the harvest was good, feel thankful that you are well off. This year, we had a pumpkin soup lunch afterwards in my church for a good cause, but that’s not the rule.