Any other Windows Phone users around here?

What version are you running? I’ve had that feature since I got the phone in the beginning of May. Check under Settings>about.

Revision to the above… I did this:
Plug in to charge
Turn off phone

It said ‘goodbye’, then moments later, appeared to be switching back on (at which point, I posted the above), however, it didn’t actually switch back on. The battery charged, but the phone was off (at least the high-level functions were off)

My dad’s phone is Android, but maybe it works like his does. When you plug it in after turning it off, the screen comes back on and shows a charging screen, which goes off just like it would if it were on. The rest of the phone is still off, and you have to turn the power button on to boot the OS.

It may come on if you plug it into a computer, though. I’m not sure. I know it always displays the same screen. Plugging into the wall does not, depending on whether the phone is on or off.

1. I believe this is a bug with the microsoft account not syncing correctly. Try going into your account settings and turning off contact sync for the MS account.

2. This is a carrier setting. It’s not adjustable on Verizon (fixed at 30 seconds) but other carriers might.

3. This behavior is changed in WP8.1; 8 requires separate logins for different apps but 8.1 allows “single sign on” logins (also works for your facebook account)

4. This behavior is also changed in WP 8.1. Plugging in while off now puts the phone in charge-only mode. I actually dislike this change, but it is handy in that it will charge the phone faster.

Danja’s complaint about lack of independent volume controls is corrected in 8.1 as well. Ringers, Media/Apps, Bluetooth, and Headphones all now have seperate volume settings.

If you want to get 8.1 ahead of your carrier pushing it out, you can get it on most devices immediately by registering for the developer preview program (which is free).

I have an entry level Nokia 520 that I LOVE. It’s compact yet easy to view. The 5 mp camera does a great job with panoramic pictures. I can open MS office files and it does a wonderful job with Word files. I don’t have to fuss with the font size. It organizes text so I can easily read it.

The free mapping software works great. When I slow down the screen zooms in automatically and zooms out when I get up to speed.

The ability to build the screen the way I want it and have it all on one page is the way all phones should be designed. Everything is one button away. The “phone” button takes me to a screen that I can build for “speed dial” or switch to “most recent” which again gives me one-touch launch.

I can hand my phone to someone and ask them to make a call or email or text someone without having to explain those functions. They’re right there on the first page and are easy to use.

I’d like a better camera and a more powerful phone but for $60 this thing kicks ass. But I find it difficult to upgrade to a $600 phone when this one works so well and fits nicely in my pocket.

And like everyone else, I’d like more apps. MS needs to do something about that even if it involves doing the apps themselves or throwing a carrot out to the developers of the apps in high demand.

Thanks!!

Back around late 2011-2012 I had an HTC Topaz, or “Pure” as it was marketed by AT&T. Although on one level I was frustrated by the lack of available apps and the limited capacity of the phone, on another level it performed very well given those limitations. Streaming performance on the mobile network was noticeably better than the low-market Android that succeeded it, but with the drawback that I had to practically turn the Internet inside out looking for streamable URLs, which I then had to either email to myself, or key in manually on the HTC. AFAI knew there wasn’t anything available like IHeartRadio or TuneIn. I liked Windows Media Player much better than anything I’ve had on Android devices; a particularly cool feature was that the streamed radio URLs I just mentioned could be included in WMP playlists, making it a very convenient one-stop app for both recorded and streamed listening. I also liked the notepad and stylus, so much so that my next phone may be one of the Galaxy Note models.

The much larger screen on my current Samsung Galaxy makes any web-browser based activity better, but I did use to like the way my old Windows phone was so compact.

It was a good phone in a lot of ways.