Any 'tactical' super-hero games out there?

I loved **Freedom Force **and it’s sequel **Freedom Force verses the Third Reich. **

Does anyone know of any similar games that are available? As best as i know there are no big publisher games like that out there. So i thought i’d ask if there’s any indie title i may have missed. I know there are some excellent fantasy RPG’s published by small developers and i wondered if anyone’s done a superhero game.

Ideally something team based that’s turn-based or pausable real-time with customisable characters.

Oh, and to pre-empt the obvious suggestion. Dabbled with City Of Heroes, didn’t care for it. MMO’s are not my thing.

City of Heroes is probably the best you’re going to get, really. I’d love to be proven wrong, though.

There are mods around for both FF games. Haven’t tried any yet, though.

Found a game from the Marvel universe.

There are also a couple of games dealing with just the X-Men, the former is from the publisher of the Marvel game above.

Yeah i played the first X-Men Legends, it was Ok. I got bored halfway through the sequel.

I also have played a number of the **Freedom Force **mods

Perhaps you could have mentioned this earlier? I could have saved time by agreeing with Bosstone.

I had forgotten about them, as i said they weren’t terribly memorabale

Where?

Hence not memorable

The problem is there’s no game out there that 1) are team based, 2) are turn based, and 3) lets you customize your characters.

There’s all manner of DC and Marvel games out there that probably fulfill 1 and/or 2, but they all have you playing licensed characters, which rules out 3.

City of Heroes and the upcoming Champions and DC Universe Online MMOs more than meet 3 (CoH’s character creator is the spotlight feature), but 1 is only achievable with other players and they certainly don’t meet 2. CoH does let you solo 90% of the game’s content, but the real meaty stories are, naturally, the stuff that requires a team.

Really, your best bet is if Bioware decides to cash in on the genre and churns out a superhero-themed RPG. Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Mass Effect all fulfill 1, 2, and 3 quite well and aren’t bad games, despite being fairly cookie-cutter.

A shame and about what i’d expected.

I swear thre’d be a market for such a game. It wouldn’t need killer graphics. Concentrate on good gameplay and loads of character options. Make a user-friendly mission generator. Set up a friendly website with lots of bonus stuff (a la the Gal Civ series). If anybody can spare me a million pounds i’ll get right on it.

Also as long as i’m fantasising already, I’d like a pony.