Any way to reproduce the sound of my voice inside my head?

As everyone figured out at age 8 when playing with a tape recorder, your voice sounds very different inside your head compared to how it sounds to the outside world.

Presumably, this is because when you speak, you perceive not just your voice transmitted through the air to your ears, but also your voice transmitted through your head/skull/whatever.

My question is: has anyone ever done a study and determined what filter/processing/etc. can be applied to a recording of a human voice to replicate how that person sounds inside their head?

I realize not everyone’s head is the same, blah blah blah, but it should be possible to get close.

I don’t know either, but I would love to know if it’s been done. I imagine it could be done by attaching microphones to your skull and in the air then combining the sounds together in a mixer of some sort.

No idea, but good question! Sooo, free bump.

I think it would most likely be done with physics/accoustic software. I don’t think we could set up a microphone to hear exactly what our ears hear.

I’ve personally always wanted this in reverse, being able to convert a sound outside your head into what it would sound like if you made it. Then all you have to do is mimic that sound, and your voice will sound like the original.

I think the first step is medication and counselling. You should confide in your doctor before your work friends.

Oh, you mean your voice in your head? Carry on.

Possibly something like a reverse noise-canceling gizmo to allow only the transmission that’s directed outward.

Oh, I thought you meant your mental voice, the one you hear when silently talking to yourself.

Here’s an old crackpot idea for picking up mental voices with a microphone. If it worked, then you’d also be able to detect the voices heard by schitzophrenia victims.

Ears as antisound emitters
http://amasci.com/tesla/tesceive.html#ears

“Hearing” is a huge topic, including psychological, physical, and biological topics. For what it’s worth, I found that study has been done, by hearing aide researchers, who tapped solid bars into the side of volunteers’ heads, and measured the resonant frequencies. Maybe this work could lead to something.
The full report was kindly supplied to me by Hyperelastic, who responded to my thread for how to build a xylophone out of human heads.

Food for thought: do you hear music in your dreams?

If you are actually trying to do it, then my only suggestion is to get a bunch of audio processing software, record yourself saying something, then run the recording thru the processes your software has. Mix and match until the recording sounds the same as when you say it live.

When you hit on the right combination of processes, make a different recording and try again. If it still works, then you’ve found out how to do it. Report back so the rest of us will know.

That’s not the reverse way, that’s the OP way. You want to record a sound in the room and then shift it into your head-voice. The OP wants to record the sound of his voice in the room and shift it into his head-voice. Same thing.

You’re thinking that he wants to hear his head-voice the way everyone else does. That’s easy. Make a recording and play it back.

I also thought you meant “mental voice,” which psychiatrists have studied intensively, both in its normal use and pathological ones (obtrusive and “real” heard voices is usually regarded as an early or first sign of schizophrenia).

That reference of wbeaty is a beaut, ear-emitters and–as explained by someone who said he might be on his way to a Nobel–anti sucking acoustic black holes.

A new movement is born:
**Anti-sucking! **[apply to any object or theory, and it will turn out right.

Others hear your voice only through the sounds transmitted through the air. You also hear vibrations transmitted through the bones of your skull. These are mostly lower, bass frequencies. So running a recorded track of your voice through an audio equalizer that is set to increase the bass will give listeners an approximation of what your voice sounds like to you.

Something that voice artists and vocalists understand is how to exploit the proximity effects of certain microphone designs. In particular, if you get very close to ribbon microphones you get a significant bass boost. (This is most often observed with the “DJ” voice on radio.) Wearing a pair of reasonably isolating headphones and listening to yourself whilst using such a microphone, moving about to explore the effects, and matching it to your perception might be interesting. Obviously the level in the headphones needs to be significantly louder than real in order to overcome sounds due to bone conduction and the like. People with significant nasal tones to their voice probably need more effort.

I find that using the false vocal cords technique produces a reasonable approximation.