Anybody ever notice that their freshly expressed breast milk has a greenish or bluish hue to it?

My husband and I have often wondered why my freshly expressed breast milk occasionally has a bluish or greenish hue to it. After it has been sitting, it separates and only occasionally on top of the creamy layer, there is a thin yellow layer of liquid. We can only assume that yellow is some fat derivative. But the green and blue?!? The hue doesn’t noticeably come back after it has been frozen and thawed out. What in the world could that be coming from?

The “Cafe Society” seemed most appropriate for categories to post this in. I mean, this IS related to a cusine…right?

I faintly recall a thread about rainbow coloured breastmilk.

Ah here it is.

It turned out it was nothing to be worried about for her, but might be worth a doc visit.

How tinted is it? When my (ex) wife was pumping, I never noticed that, but I suppose the fat, in a certain light and through the plastic bottle could be said to have had an ever so slightly greenish/bluish tinge to it (in the same way that the marbling in a steak would), but I never would have thought about it if you didn’t say anything.
Like Ludy said, if I were you, I’d bring a sample to your Gyno, Ped or lactation consultant.

My guess would be that the bluish color would be due to scattering processes, similar to why the sky is blue, or blue eyes. The green would then result from a combination of this blue and the yellowish fat (similar to green eyes).

Moved Cafe Society --> GQ.

I can’t remember exactly why it can be tinted like that, but mine did it to. My Lactaton Consultant said it was completely normal.

I saw the bluish bit a few times - usually when I’d gone longer than usual and the first part of the pumping was all the watery foremilk. Same as skim (nonfat) cow’s milk looking a little blueish.

Discover Health had one of those “medical mysteries” shows once where the woman’s milk turned bright pink - that turned out to be because she’d been colonized by some weird and dangerous bacteria.

Quick cx: blue, green, and brown eyes are colored due to pigment in the iris. The perception of hazel could be changed, perhaps, by scattering from the eyelashes.

Cx to cx: OK, blue eyes get blue by back-scattering. Two out of three ain’t bad.