Anybody read "Dusk" by Tim Lebbon?

I recently read this fantasy book, but don’t recall seeing any discussion of it in CS. Lebbon is an accomplished horror author, so he has an interesting take on the “young boy is the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy” meme that pervades fantasy literature. It’s really quite good, so I’d suggest checking it out if you get a chance. (If my recommendation isn’t enough for you, Steven Erikson also liked it.)

I tried. I really liked Lebbon’s western novellas, Dead Man’s Hand and Pieces of Hate. I especially liked the spareness of the writing – it was like reading a spaghetti western. I also liked that he didn’t spell everything out, and he was light on the adjectives and adverbs.

So I bought Dusk (and then I won a signed copy in a contest). I probably didn’t give it a fair shake, because I stopped after about ten pages. I thought there was too much unnecessary description and not enough build-up to that first horrific event. He didn’t give me a chance to believe before things started happening.

It was a book of the month in the reading club over at SFF World, where readers talk about it more intelligently than I can. :slight_smile:

I’m waiting for him to write more of the western series. Those are more my style.