Anyone a fan of Yerba Mate? Or Terere?

This spring a friend introduced me to Yerba Mate and I’ve gone through a couple pounds of it already. But I find I’m not inclined to make it traditionally in the summer: 90-degree apartment + boiling water = no thanks.

Has anyone tried making Terere? Do you need a special cup for it, or can it be made in a regular glass or coffee mug? It sounds interesting, but I’m having trouble picturing how to make it, especially if I want to use ice cubes - how does that work with the loose tea?

Share your Mate tips, tricks, sources and questions here.

one word:
bombilla!

one question:

Do you like it roasted or green?
we sell both at my herb shop, but people are sheepish about the roasted. I think it is good!

I don’t have much to add. I’m a fan of Yerba Mate, and always have some on hand. I keep a box of “the real stuff” but I also have a collection of Celestial Seasonings tea bagged Mate. They make several different blends.

I don’t make it in the traditional gourd. I just brew it in my french press like I do with most loose teas.

It’s good stuff though. I’m not a big tea drinker, but mate’s got enough “umph” to it. :slight_smile:

Being an argentinian, of course I like Yerba Mate.
Terere, on the other hand, is paraguayan. I tried it once when I went to Formosa, (near the frontier with Paraguay), and I wasn’t impressed.
I also tried it with fanta. Thos wacky formoseans!!

It is not a bad drink when it is hot outside. I find it quite quite refeshing. Mind you I may be a freak who just likes hot drinks when it is a hot day. Incidentally the water should be about the same temperature as that used to make filter coffee, i.e approx 80 degC, not boiling.

My one and only tip for when drinking yerba is to never ever be too far from a bathroom.

I’ve went through periods when I’ve gotten -very- into mate; I didn’t generally go for the gourd, but I made do with a mason jar and bombilla instead. I’ve actually got a pound of Cruz de Malta that’s been sitting in the cupboard for a bit.

I stopped (and haven’t picked it up again) after reading some stuff about throat cancer. It seems to be rather uncertain, but for the moment, I’m holding off.

Besides which, the stuff is like crack… :stuck_out_tongue:

Before I got my gourd, I made some in a French Press and poured it over ice. I thought I was gonna die - it seemed to magnify the caffiene or something. After I got my gourd I’ve drunk it warm and it has been a mellower experience.

Caparazon (or anyone), do you think I could I just throw some dry Mate in a glass, add juice (or Fanta or whatever) and ice, let it soak, and drink it with a bombilla? When I make Mate I pour the water in the bottom of the gourd so as not to disturb the top of the Mate, but I wonder if I really need to be so careful, especially with the cold stuff.

Also: are you finding your mate locally? How much is it? I get 1.1lb. bags online for about $4 each, not including shipping. I assume it must be available somewhere in NYC, but when I run across it in tea or herb shops it’s $10 a pound or more, and sold in tiny quantities.