Anyone Been To Saint Pierre and Miquelon?

Saint Pierre and Miquelon a small group of French islands off the coast of Newfoundland.

I was just wondering if anyone on this board had been there, and if so what did you think of it?

Was it like a little bit of France in North America?

I haven’t been but I have wondered about them too over the years. Their population is very small and they are very cold much of the year. They always sounded a little freaky to me but I would happily visit if the opportunity ever came up.

We were at a wedding recently with residents of Saint Pierre and Miquelon. They mentioned that it is cold - the tundra actually. But quite urban, in that it has all of the services of a city; hospitals and such. Long dark winters, not great veggies and fruits, but very warm and communal for them and their 3 small kids.

The odd thing is when we first asked “So where are you living now” (We had known them a bit, previous to this wedding) they just said “France” and we had to ask further questions to get to where exactly; I mean you hear France you are thinking mainland, practically Paris-suburb, right? Seems like if you live on some obscure island, you say you live there first and then explain it is France. But whatever…it just struck me as odd.

Anyway they really loved living there.