Anyone catch Kath and Kim?

Mikey Day is listed in the credits at the end of this youtube video and is listed in the credits of K&K.

And now I hate you a little for making me watch that worthless vid. :slight_smile:

Molly Shannon is quite possibly the least funny person ever to have graced the SNL stage. Everything I’ve ever seen her do is utterly humorless. However, I do have to give her credit for her commitment when she used to throw herself into a big pile of folding chairs on SNL, or whatever it would be. Big potential for broken limbs there.

I watched the show for about 10 minutes, waiting for the funny. In a 22-minute sitcom, 10 humorless minutes is a death sentence. With any luck, it will be.

Selma Blair is average, appearance-wise. She seems to have one signature “look”, when she’s sort of squinting her eyes and looking at someone with contempt or something. Aside from that she doesn’t impress me.

I guess my boyfriend and I are the only ones who thought this show was funny. Silly and low-brow, for sure, but worth a few laughs. I would like to see another episode.

I had it on because it was on while I was cooking dinner between Earl and The Office. It was reprehensible. I’ll watch somebody shill vacuums on QVC before I’ll watch it again. And I like John Michael Higgins and Selma Blair, and what little I’ve seen of Molly Shannon is OK. I’ll watch reruns on TV Land.

How is that funny? or “altered reality”? I know that analyzing humor tends to destroy it, but please explain that to me. If I only had that line as an example, I’d think that Australians would laugh themselves silly at a test pattern.

I’m vaguely aware of India’s independence in 1947. Still, not drawing even the slightest grin from me.

I am lost on that one as well. Could someone enlighten some of the denser members.

I’ll try. The line was out of context and out of character and was slipped in amongst some of the other more usual dialogue. So it went something like this:

Kim: we’re out of the Dippetybics which come from British India*

Kath: India seceded from the British Empire in 1947

pause

Kath: are we taking the Barina or the Matiz?
There was another example at “Wine Time” which I remember better.

Kath (puts down book): well that was good! It was about the Shah of Iran. I don’t agree, but it was very good.

The joke is that Kath is presented as “middle-australian”. She’s supposedly self-involved, shallow, ignorant, insular and materialistic. I think it’s Riley and Turner’s way of having a little fun with the audience.

*totally paraphrased the hell out of

Last week’s was even worse than this week’s. I had to fast forward through it. I don’t see this lasting.

I watched the most recent one. With all the horrible comedies out there, I’m actually surprised that this one in particular is getting so much heat. While most are in-your-face, actively, offensively NOT funny (I’m looking at you, 30 Rock, American Dad, and any sketch comedy after 1995), this was just “meh”. It was a bunch of jokes that failed, rather than a bunch of jokes that make you want to vomit and think, who the hell thought THAT was going to work?!

Edit: Exclude Chappelle’s Show from my comment about sketch comedy

???

Post 47 is the best I can do. Sorry.

The only reason why I caught this show in the first place was because it was scheduled between two decent shows, but K&K is awful beyond words. The dialog is horrid and the episodes are like SNL skit rejects. It’s too bad Selma Blair is wasted.

As far as I can tell “Dippetybics” are cookies and “Barina” and “Matiz” are cars.
That information isn’t really helpful.

The characters are supposed to be ignorant, insular airheads whose concerns are brand name goods and the mundanities of suburban life.

The first line is simply one mentioning that they are out of a certain type of cracker, using for dipping hence the name - bearing in mind that in Australia we use the term biscuit as a term that encompasses crackers. As it happens the brand of cracker is identified with “British India”. This is an anachronism, but one which you might think the characters (being who they are) would entirely overlook.

Instead, Kath not only points out the anachronism but can name the precise year in which India seceded, before almost immediately moving on to the mundane matter of which car they are taking.

It’s kind of like the blonde bimbo character in a US sitcom discussing what shoes she’s going to wear, correcting a nearby professor on a point concerning nuclear physics, then wondering aloud if she should put on pink or red lipstick.

Have we over analysed this enough yet?

Thank you for translating that into American.

exhales

Thanks Princhester.

Or screamingly unfunny, depending on your point of view.

I actually thought the show was pretty funny.

My wife hated it, though.