Anyone else following the Annie Le murder case (Yale grad student)?

one news account had him get all bent out of shape when people didn’t wear disposable shoe covers into the rooms he took care of. don’t know if this was requirement or if he just didn’t wanted shoe prints on the floors he cleaned. i would suspect no researcher would risk wrecking their research if it was a requirement.

a statement was made that he did have occasional differences with faculty and researchers.

seems like he had control issues in the workplace.

Yeah, that’s clearly a characteristic that’s unique to men.

:rolleyes:

I was writing up news summaries about the case on my Examiner.com site, but Google didn’t pick it up at all (unlike most of my other articles there), so it was like talking to thin air.

And I was so proud of the “cage fight” and “rodent rage” puns I came up with that nobody got to see…

The police didn’t arrest him because they assumed it was a crime of passion. In those cases the murder rarely is a threat to anyone other than the person he is obsessed with.

Those type of murderers generally don’t repeat it either.

The swarm of cops is purely a media thing. If this case got little coverage they’d have had a couple of police, the cops wanted publicity to look good.

This case shows the problems of publicity as the media was too informative, it’d be nothing for the cops to simply take his DNA and plant it case closed. Hopefully there is other proof, 'cause when the police say 'We’re looking for this on her body, in this place, and the next thing you know it’s sitting there, exactly where they expected to find it, it don’t sit well with me.

Of course this doesn’t mean he’s innocent by any means, but it shows how you can distort anything.

The guy’s neatness and such, I’ve worked with a lot of people like that. It’s only when you combine it with a murder does their “neatness” and stuff seem odd.

Yeah, I thought that was an odd thing to say. I think pretty much everyone says that about their acquaintances/friends/family members who turn out to be murderers. What are you supposed to say? “You know, I always thought he’d snap and murder his whole family but I didn’t want to say anything.”

I admit I’ve kind of been following it. I think the reasons are:

1. She was in a secure building and had every reason to think she was safe, and yet this horrible thing happened to her. If I were in her shoes, it would have happened to me.

2. I’m intrigued by what combination of cunning and stupidity the murderer must have had, to have done something like that in a building that is closely monitored and where it would be known who was in the building at the time.

There was a column on this in Slate. It seems Ivy League murders have always gotten an disproportionate amount of attention and it seems we just tend to forget them.

There is a BBC series about murders in Oxford with a lot of university interests involved.

IIRC, interior areas were all badge-access. They see her badge and his badge enter for one room, then that’s it for her badge and they later see his badge open up the area they found her body.

That’s pretty good evidence, and to me, an indication that it was probably not pre-meditated, as one would think he would have thought of that if he planned it out. My best guess at this point is an argument that got way out of hand (cage rage?)

If he was brought in as a witness instead of a suspect he may not have his rights read to him. If the Police held him after interviewing him his lawyer could have argued later that he was actually under arrest and get his statements thrown out. By releasing him the Police can point to that and say that he was not under arrest and free to go at anytime.

My cite for that is the First 48.

For some reason, I am reminded of several of my favorite Yale related quotes:

“You sir, have the boorish manners of a Yaley.”
-Montgomery Burns, The Simpsons

“He was part of that whole Yale thing. For one he was probably a closet homosexual and he did a lot of cocaine…that whole Yale thing.”
-Patrick Bateman, American Psycho

Did he know badge use would be logged and a record kept? Unless told otherwise, people may assume a badge works like a metal key: it provides access, and that’s all it does. He may not have realized he was leaving a trail (not to mention abruptly ending his victim’s trail).

Of course, if he knew there were security cameras (and you can usually know if there are security cameras, unless you never look above your own eye level, or behind the guard’s desk), then he had to know he’d leave SOME trail.