Anyone else hate talking on the phone?

I absolutely can’t stand talking on the phone!

First, for some reason, I have a hard time hearing low-level talking, so I’m constantly straining to hear things and sometimes I just agree with whatever the person is saying just to get them off the phone.( I’ve been signed up for more than a few “deals” that way)

Secondly, I tend to convey a lot of emotion with my eyes and my facial reactions; things that don’t usually play well over a phone line. So, I find can’t get my point across on the phone using just my voice and it makes having meaningful conversations pretty pointless. Believe it or not, I’ve found I can get more across using instant messaging or email. I’m not exactly sure why that is.

If I can, I do all the things I would normally do by phone, via the internet. Fortunately, companies are offering more services that way, nowadays.

I have a teenage daughter. I haven’t had to answer the phone in 6 years. :wink:

Every single cop in my county has a cell phone on their ear 24/7. I have no idea who they’re talking to, but I doubt it has anything to do with work since they have RADIOS!

I used to be awkward on the phone but I’m pretty good at holding a conversation now. But it’s such a time waster. I can try to do stuff while I’m on the phone but I wind up zoning out what the person is saying. Haven’t been caught not paying attention yet, but it’ll happen.

I forgot to mention the other person that keeps me on the phone regularly, my ex-wife. I am nice to her because of our daughter, but I don’t want to hear about every damn thing that’s happening to her.

I haaaate talking on the phone. I hate the sound of the phone ringing. I hate it even more when it’s someone calling for someone else. I’ve had an office-mate this semester, and it has been helllllll. His wife calls for him about three times a day. She, for some reason, has no notion whatsoever of his schedule. She calls, I tell her he’s not there, and she asks me where he is. Woman, he’s your husband. I know where my husband is. You keep track of your own husband.

I hate it even more when I have to call people. I hate it even worse when I have to leave some stupid-ass stammering voicemail, and then they don’t call me back, and I have to them again and pester them. GAH!

I have found my people. I am constantly befuddled by the masses that walk around with phones glued to their ears. What could they possibly be yammering about? Don’t they ever run out of things to say? And yes, I do have a cell phone but I don’t spend much time on it. I also put off making phone calls for as long as possible. Have you seen that commercial warning people not to ignore the symptoms of a heart attack, with the old woman waking up in the middle of the night with chest pain but she doesn’t want to call 911 in case she was wrong? Yeah, that would be me. Well, it would be if I were an old lady.

I hate phones. Hate, hate, hate! I can deal with them in a business setting, because it’s my job, but I hate them for personal use. We have a cell phone. It’s a prepaid, because the only time it’s ever used (by me) is for emergencies. It’s not even turned on 99% of the time. I don’t answer my landline. We have voicemail for that. I just hate talking on the phone.

I also don’t get the cell-phone-glued-to-the-ear thing. What the hell are they talking about for so long?!

I don’t talk on the phone much in general, and I almost never answer my home phone. The exception: I talk to my boyfriend about 10 times a day, sometimes for hours at a time. But then, he lives several states away while he’s in school and I only get to see him for a few days about once a month, so it’s the closest thing we have to spending time together.

I don’t like talking on the phone to people I don’t know very well. I feel awkward and weird. I also don’t like initiating phone calls most of the time. I have a paranoia that my timing will irritate the person I’m calling.

With few exceptions I hate talking on the phone. More so since all I have is a cell phone. Shoddy signals and poor design make talking inconvienent, that and low minutes. I think Text Messaging is better. E-mail, Trillian, Myspace, facebook, these are all my major outlets of communication.

This is one of my quirks as well. Even in relation to business, I hate to actually call someone else. I can answer the phones at work forever, but calling out is one of those things I delay and dither and wait on.

Yep, another reluctant telephone caller here! :slight_smile:

My husband is just as bad, if not worse. He actually has to move into an empty room to make a call because he can’t cope with someone else listening to him as he talks on the phone!

I hate phones too, I am terrible about returning messages. Oddly enough, I also hate getting the mail.

It depends on the circumstance, but in general I seem to like to keep my phone messages as short as possible. Unless I’m actively involved in a relationship with him, very rarely will I call someone to just gab, or appreciate being so called.

However, I do appreciate the phone for its ability to force people to act on matters that are overdue, which email simply doesn’t cut it for.

I’m perfectly fine at answering calls. In fact, if you were to call the art store I work at, you secretly hope I’m the one answering. I’m even “good” at it.
Making a call…no. I hate it, even just to ask store hours or anything else. I’d call it a phobia.

From what I’ve overheard, it’s often a minute-by-minute recounting of the last twenty social interractions they had, and in-depth analysis thereof. “And I was like, Oh my God, you know? What do you think she meant by that?”

I recently led a tour of kids through the museum in which I work. The teacher apparently equates “field trip” with “day off” because I never saw her without her cellphone pressed against her head. I learned all about Carrie’s upcoming wedding and why her fiance is not really the right man for her, what the teacher was planning to wear, what Liz said about Gloria behind her back, how much it cost to get her nails done last week, why Sarah is so pissed at Becky, and all about teacher’s date with Mike last night. (She doesn’t think she’ll date him again, because he talked too much.) She pointedly pressed the tip of her finger into her ear when I became too loud trying to control her students.

At last, people I can relate to.

I dislike talking on the phone, especially after hours. A large part of my working day involves dealing with some sort of conflict, or possibility of conflict, and often over the phone. Add to the mix one particular antagonist whose main mission in life is to provoke service providers, and who then submits a transcribed version of his taped conversation to the media (yes, he tapes all his conversations), and by the end of the day, I cannot stand the sight of a phone. On weekends I sometimes have no idea where I last left my mobile, and I don’t care.

Best invention was text messaging. Short, sharp and to the point, and you can choose to respond, or not.

Taking calls is ok, making them not.

Funnily enough, if I was to rank my top three people called, girlfriend would be at no. 3, then my Mum, then my Dad, easily at the top of the list. Its impossible to get him off the phone and my head does feel a bit odd when he goes on and on and on…

I have never enjoyed talking on the phone. When I am home alone I don’t answer the phone at all if I am doing something or can’t think of anyone I would like to talk to. My mobile phone is programmed with different ring tones for people I know and people I don’t. Often at work people look at me as though I am an idiot while my phone rings out without me answering it. Sometimes I explain the it is just a marketing call - there will be no beeps to indicate a message left.

For me a good phone call is a quick phone call.

I’m not a big phone talker. I have a landline and cellphone out of necessity, but I usually hesitate to spend more than 15 minutes talking to any one person.

Unless the phone sex is good. Then it’s a different story.

Tripler
I can’t show my “O” face over the phone. :rolleyes:

I do not like taking calls without knowing who is on the other end. My way of dealing with it:

1. My number is blocked from caller ID. If I call a number that will not accept my call, I do not unblock, I just do without the call (unless it is a friend who already has my number).

2. I only give out my number to people I want to hear from, and immediately enter their number in my cellphone directory. I also make sure they understand not to give my number out to anyone.

3. I give out my work number to stores/etc and let my receptionists deal with them.

4. I do not own a landline at home, cell phone only.

5. If my cell rings and I do not know the number I do not answer. If they leave a voicemail I listen to it and then decide what to do. If they do not leave a voicemail I do a reverse directory search.

My gf things I am strange/eccentric/etc. If I wasn’t so good in bed she would leave me. :wink: