Anyone else have a soft place in their hearts for movies that (practically) have no women in them?

Except for the hooker and the sniper, Full Metal Jacket didn’t have any women in it and only the hooker spoke.

Though possibly not by women.

The concept puzzles me; it seems to imply that people would naturally be sentimental or warm-and-fuzzy about all-male movies. Or something. I don’t pretend to be able to read the OP’s mind–was that the idea, Dale Sams?)

I feel this way about most movies that don’t have romantic plots.
Hero angst also fills this role. Stop with the whining & false sympathy, get on with the action! :cool:

I feel the same way about T&A.
I -really- want to see a hot guy’s crotch grinding up against the camera just to squick out the guys as much as my friends & I get bored/squicked out whenever some skanky whore parades across the screen or is shoe-horned into an otherwise awesome or decent movie.
In fact, make it happen to every 3rd or 4th movie to make “the sexiness” equal.
Stop ruining movies you shitty, horny directors! :stuck_out_tongue:

(This is why I hardly watch movies anymore & cut out a LOT of TV over the years.)

I just wanted to throw something at the wall and see what people thought. There are a few movies I like that are considered ok-good, that I think are great…and personally I’ve noticed they feature no women. Like “The Edge” (Though a woman is the driving force behind part of it)

The list of movies with no (or effectively no) female roles is huge.

The list of movies with no (or effectively no) male roles: another story. The only one I can think of is THE WOMEN.

Do you like movies about gladiators?

I’m not saying it’s in bad taste. Bad Taste is the title of the only film I really love with no women. I consider that lack it’s one failing.

Without spoiling-

Aliens land in New Zealand. They are here to kill, process, and eat us. Lines include

“The bastards have landed!”

“I’m a Derek. And Derek’s don’t run.”

“What a lucky boy I am. I got a chunky bit!”

“I’m born again!”
If memory serves, Peter Jackson wrote and directed.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

I’d rather see a chest-thumping, manly men doing manly things action movie putter along (hopefully with a little ho-yay) with An All! Male! Cast! than the same with a token woman or two just obviously stuck in there. Holding up the action to give the hero a warm place to put it in between explosions and fireballs, or the token wife waving bye’ bye’ - “be careful!”. I hate that. I hate the older movies that used to insert romantic sub-plots that only got in the way, because frail, romantic, delicate girls were more apt to sit through a war movie if there was some fragrant rose of a heroine for them to moon over.

Yeah, the all male production of “The Handmaid’s Tale” was just all wrong.

IIRC, the only female character in Reservoir Dogs is the woman who (with no dialogue) shoots Mister Orange.

And starred. Twice.

Historical accuracy matters, so I won’t accuse them of misogyny or anything, but I do prefer a good mix of people in a cast if possible. There aren’t many all-male movies I watch anyway, just by coincidence.

Two women in that film, actually. There’s also the one that Mr. Pink pulls from her car to get away from the cops.

I’m just going off memory here, but I’d be surprised if The Bridge on the River Kwai had any substantial female roles, given its setting. IMDB shows a ‘Nurse’, as well as four ‘Siamese Girls’, but something tells me they weren’t central to the plot.

Well, it was a woman that introduced the film to me, and she and her sister can (and regularly do) quote whole swathes of dialogue from the film, so clearly the lack of important female characters isn’t putting them off. In fact I don’t think I know of anyone female who’s seen it and didn’t love it.

Some stories only really work with one gender. That doesn’t necessarily make them bad stories, and no one seems to be complaining about films where most or all of the leads are female.

I’m a 180 from this, I prefer movies with almost no males in them.

That’s because nobody can think of any.

…except for several that have been mentioned in the thread so far.

Also…

Steel Magnolias
Thelma & Louise
The First Wives Club
Bridget Jones’ Diary
Waiting to Exhale
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
Sex and the City
Sex and the City 2
The Devil Wears Prada
Fried Green Tomatoes

…it’s not that hard to think of films where most or all of the leads are female.

So, strongly female movies are either about women who act like men, women who want to have sex with men, or women who gossip about men.