Anyone else here love White Castles?

Wow, I am amazed. A White Castle thread with no mention of Kumar, Harold, or a movie reference… until this post that is. :smiley:

ETA: I used to love those palm-sized sandwiches of questionable and most assuredly unhealthy meat product. Sadly, I haven’t had one in many years.

Never had one. Driven by, seen a few, but never when we could stop. They don’t exist in the west, and we leapfrogged their territory by a bit when we moved.

Might be Joisey next week… hmm.

I am another one who has to take a trip to St Louis to get me some belly bombers. Luckily I have a trip coming up in the next few weeks.

99% bread actually, and it’s hard to tell if they forgot to put they meat in or not.
I wish the world had* In-n-out* burgers in their neighborhood. For fast food, that’s about as good as it gets.

Had my choice of them in Californee. Meh.

Road trip?

No thank you. I haven’t been that drunk or that poor for thirty years.

Regards,
Shodan

I can’t stand the frozen ones, but then I don’t have the patience to go through the steaming procedure. BUT… I don’t know if this is true everywhere, but near me (in Chicago) most 7-Eleven stores carry UN-frozen ones in their sandwich case. Little packs of two for around two bucks. These nuke up really nice and taste practically identical to the authentic restaurant sliders.

Yet another reason to hate you 1 percenters :slight_smile:

PS. I like em too, despite the shame.

Love them. I don’t live near them anymore, but the frozen ones are available. Not the same, but in a pinch they are acceptable after a cocktail… or two. I was in New Orleans in April and there was a Krystal next door to my hotel. Did I go there after a night of drinking? Yes! Pretty much the same deliciousness.

Love them. Love them, love them, love them, love them, love them.

Even the frozen ones. Separate the burgers, open one end of the cellophane package, nuke for 58 seconds in microwave. Perfectly done and no steaming process nonsense is involved. This time may not work in your microwave depending on how many amps or volts or whatevers those things are measured with - I have 1,000 or 1,100 of them, so there you go. Plus my microwave has a plate that goes in circles while things cook so that may affect the heating time. But that’s it - 58 seconds from frozen, to excellent sliders that taste almost as good as fresh ones. ALMOST.

I love them, but I can only have them once in a while. There a few of them w/i 3-4 towns of me.

Used to be a White Castle across the street from the big Montomery Wards store in Menands, NY
Went to one when the college dining room was closed. Haven’t been to one in decades. Where did the name slider come from? Never heard that until recently.

You hadda say you loved ‘em, you hadda go tell people how good they are. Thanks to this stinkin’ thread, I went out and had 6 of 'em for lunch!

Thanks a lot!

:smiley:

Because of the way they greasily slide down your gullet.

We all also said we try not indulge in the slidy goodness that is White Castle too often. We warned ya!

I love them…but they don’t love me anymore. I always scoffed at those for whom “sliders” referred more to the exit than the entrance. Then I became one of those people. That part, I could deal with, but the awful dreadful onion burps and acid reflux are actually bad enough to motivate me not to get them again. Until I convince myself that it wasn’t really that bad, and I get a few and devour them and then regret it again. Which takes about 10-12 months… :frowning:

My daughter and I had White Castle just yesterday, after a many-year hiatus. A local theater chain sells them, and she and I indulged with 4 each, as we enjoyed Jurassic World. They are just as deliciously disgusting as I remember them; we both enjoyed.

No untoward effects as of yet, but it’s been barely 18 hours since we indulged.

Overpriced but I think they taste really good. I just get the classic burgers, I never got any of their other stuff. I have heard some say it gives them the runs or hurts their stomach but they have never bothered me the slightest. The most I ate were 10 sliders.

I’ve always preferred Krystal because I first encountered that brand of “aluminum room” setting in high school days. White Castle didn’t arrive in these parts until later – as best I can recall.

However I’ve given up on even Krystal since about three years ago when I bit into one and was met with the unpleasant crunchiness of a goddamn roach! Never been back since!