Anyone Facebook "friends" with a celeb?

Good for you! You’ll have a lot of fun. Tell all your friends. Better, drag them to the show, they’ll thank you.

(I can’t help shilling for them. Breezy & Rev are actually friends in real life. We met when they still had day jobs, before they made the life-changing decision to sell everything, buy a van, and give this music/touring thing a full-time try. It’s worked out very well for them and it’s been thrilling watching them slowly rise up through talent and sheer hard work, and kept every ounce of integrity and control. They’re great people too. Every bit of success that’s come their way and will continue to come couldn’t happen to a nicer group of people. )

I’m “friends” with and have spoken to via Facebook and Twitter Kristeen Young who is a singer from St. Louis and Morrissey’s tour partner. I know it’s definitely her because she is not famous enough to have anybody managing her pages.

I’m FB friends with Mandy Patinkin and Rob Paulsen, as well as several of the celebrity chefs who maintain their own pages. Sam O’Neill follows me on Twitter, for some reason. I’ve also tweeted questions to some celebrity chefs/foodies and have gotten responses, including Alton Brown (pre-sticky note), Alex Guarnascelli, Ted Allen, Simon Majumdar, and Marc Murphy.

My “celebrity” friends are limited to a couple of players on our local minor league hockey team. My boyfriend has some race car drivers among his friends, I can think of Felipe Massa, Dorsey Schroeder, and Conor Daly off the top of my head. Conor Daly grew up not too far away from where my boyfriend’s parents live, and my boyfriend has had several Facebook conversations with him.

If you mean Sam Neill, he automatically follows everyone who follows him. There are a few celebs who do that, so it’s not all that significant.

I’m not that familiar with her music but I have friends who have been fans since her first album. I didn’t know she was from St. Louis.

Jim Cornette’s wife is also a Facebook Friend. She sent me the Friend request and it’s really her. I don’t follow wrestling at all, but I started a Facebook Page about her husband’s fun anti-right wing rants. I haven’t kept it up though.

Same here. In my case, two YA authors and a Washington Post reporter. I knew them all in high school or college.

Claudia Christian. Yes, it’s really her posting.

One of the kids at the Chicago School of Rock that I’ve videotaped often is his second cousin Andy Patinkin.

Does that count?

I bet he has a significantly smaller amount of people respond to his name with “Who’s she?”

Depends on your definition of celeb, but I’m FB friends with Jon Wurster (drummer for Bob Mould/Superchunk/Mountain Goats, as well as contributor to The Best Show [Tom Scharpling’s now-defunct radio show on WFMU]) and Dave Gregory (ex-XTC). Also, really stretching it, but I’m FB friends with Ray Gange, who was in the Clash semi-documentary “Rude Boy”. Don’t really know them, but we have friends in common and I’ve interacted with them on FB a few times.

My sister follows Anderson Cooper on Twitter. She just about melted when he personally replied and thanked her for something she tweeted at him. No big deal, right, he does tend to reply to his tweets. Then, about a year later she tweeted something else at him and happened to mention that it was her birthday and he recorded a little video of himself for her. It was about a minute long, he wished her a happy birthday and told her what he was doing at her age (22 or 23 years old IIRC). It was a minute or two long. It was far above and beyond anything she could have expected.

Martha Stewart was one of my first followers on Twitter. I run a moderately successful lifestyle blog, but I didn’t follow her at the time. We’ve never had any interactions though.

I once had an extended conversation with someone purporting to be the girl who played Miley Cyrus on Family Guy. She’s a real singer in her own right, but I don’t remember her name.

I’ve always assumed that most celebs would not have time to be on Facebook and farm it out. You might get something written from them, but it would be a three party process, from them to a publicist to you. Any who did actually respond by themselves I would expect to be currently out of work and not exactly looking.

Lots of comic book and animation biggies, although the bigger ones eventually spin me off onto their fan pages.

Harvey Fierstein, Peter Tork and Marc Campbell (the lead singer for the Nails) all maintain their own pages. Carole King used to. I tried to friend Laraine Newman and got a polite form letter referring me to her fan site.

A very minor celebrity, but I’m Facebook friends with Mikey Mason, comedy rock star. He’s a great guy. My Facebook friending of him dates back to when I still had a two-part rule: I had to have met you in person, and I had to actually like you.

A couple of the Pythons. Terry Gilliam occasionally posts some personal stuff, right now he’s busy promoting his new movie Zero Theorem.

I was friends with Lynda Carter on Facebook a few years ago (yes, it was really her). We wrote back and forth a few times. She took down her personal page but she gave me her personal e-mail address before that so I still have it.

I am friends with a critically successfull, award winning YA author.