Anyone for a game of Nomic?

MarkofT has been added to the list of players and the site updated.

Zev Steinhardt

I’ve written to Zev about this and I’d like to play. My only caveat is that I’ll play only if my email address is not posted in any manner that could be harvested by spammer’s robots.

I’m not sure if I’ll be officially in the game by the time the votes on 301 are tallied, but if I am then I vote for 301.

(Runs under the closing garage door.)

Can I play too?

Sil vous plait? Please? Por favor? Qing?

Yes, I’ll email you, Zev.

And yes on 301 if I’m in.

Yes, you can play. :slight_smile: Please email me.

Zev Steinhardt

Zev,
I have sent you an e-mail requesting to join. In posting I also implicitly, obviously, vote yes to 301.
–capybara

Actually, it now occurs to me that I am posting WAY after the time the others did. . . I thought this meant midnight TONIGHT. . . Aw.

I’m in.

Not a problem, Little Nemo. Please send me an email at nomic@izev.com.

Thanks.

Zev Steinhardt

Could have sworn I’d voted yes to rule 301. I vote yes in case I didn’t earlier.

Thanks, Zev. And in order to hit the ground running, I’m proposing three rules.

302 (mutable) - Procedure for becoming a player

1. Any person may join this game as a voting player by posting a message stating their intent to do so in this thread.
  2. All persons keep their status as players until one of the following situations occur:
    2a. They state in this thread that they are resigning as a player;
    2b. They do participate in the game by voting or posting a message for a period of two weeks;
    2c. They are evicted from the game by a majority vote of the other players.
  3. Players who left the game under the conditions of sections 302.2a or 302.2b may re-enter it at anytime by stating their intent to do so. Players who left the game under the conditions of section 302.2c may re-enter the game by a majority vote of the players.
  4. Players who left the game and re-enter it will start with the score they had when they left.
  5. This procedures of this rule will be retroactively applicable to all players when it is passed.

303 (mutable) - Procedure for proposals

1. Any player may propose a rule change at any time.
  2. Players may propose a new rule by posting the proposed rule in this thread and assigning it the next unused number.
  3. Players may propose an amendment to an existing rule by posting the number and text of the rule they propose to amend in this thread with their proposed new text in italics.
  4. Players may propose a repeal of a rule by stating this proposal in this thread with the number and text of the rule they propose to repeal.
  5. Players may propose a repeal of an amendment to a rule by stating this proposal in this thread with the number and text of the rule they propose to repeal and also with the text of the rule as it existed before the passage of the amendment.
  6. Players may propose a alteration of a rule change that has been proposed but not passed by stating this proposal in this thread with the text of the proposal and also with the text of their proposed alteration with their altered text in italics. The number of this alternative proposal will be the same as the original proposal followed by a letter “a”. If more than one alterative proposal is active, subsequent proposals will be distinguished by consecutive letters of the alphabet.
  7. Players may make minor changes, such as correcting typographical errors, to proposals if no other players dispute the change by the time the proposal is passed. Any proposal changed in this manner will be considered as being the original proposal for all purposes.
  8. This rule takes precedence over rules 201 and 202 where it conflicts with them. This procedures of this rule will be retroactively applicable to this rule when it is passed.

304 (mutable) - Procedure for passing a rule change

1. Any player may vote on a proposal at any time following the time it is proposed to the time it is passed. A players votes by posting a statement in this thread that they are voting for or against a proposal and giving the number of the proposal.
  2. Votes cannot be made conditional on any other matters.
  3. Players may not cast votes for other players or allow other players to cast votes for them.
  4. A player is assumed to have voted in favor of a proposal by proposing it.
  5. Any player who does not cast a vote is assumed not to have made a vote.
  6. A player’s vote remains unchanged unless the player posts a statement in this thread saying they are changing their vote or withdrawing their vote. The most recent posted statement of a vote is the valid one.
  7. Once a proposal has been passed, no further votes on it or changes of the votes on it may be made.
  8. Once one version of a proposal is passed, no alternative version of this same proposal may be passed.
    9a. A proposal is passed if a unanimous vote in favor of it is made among the players.
    9b. A proposal is passed if two days have passed since it was proposed and a simple majority of all players have voted in favor of it.
    9c. A proposal is passed if seven days have passed since it was proposed and a simple majority of all players have voted on it and a simple majority of the voters have voted in favor of it.
  9. This rule takes precedence over rules 105 and 203 where it conflicts with them. It will only go into effect if rule 105 is changed to a mutable rule. This procedures of this rule will be retroactively applicable to this rule when it is passed.

Basically these rules are intended to reflect the fact that this game is being played online rather than in a face to face. I also tried to close off a few possible loopholes.

Whoa! You’ve got to wait for your turn to propose a rule!

Zev Steinhardt

Hey everybody! Longtime lurker, but do enjoy the mindgames. So a game about rules is a pretty “different” idea, but I’d like to give it a shot. BTW, I vote
Yes on 301.

Not necessarily. If Rule 303 is passed, it’s retroactively valid to make a proposal at any time.

Shouldn’t that be they don’t participate?

Yes, but you still have to wait for Rule 303 to be passed before you can propose rules when it isn’t your turn. And for that to happen it must first be proposed by the person whose turn it is:)

IOW: wait your turn; or, maybe whoever has a turn right now will propose it, or the next person, etc. It’s in limbo until then:)

Yes, but see, you have to play by the rules that are now in force.

IF your rule is passed (after having been proposed on your turn, as is Right and Proper :smiley: ) then you can go ahead and jump in and propose whatever melts your butter. Until then, wait your turn.

This reminds me of the scene from Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure where Ted needs his father’s keys, so Bill says “Hey, Ted, after all this is over, remember to go steal your father’s keys, come back in time and plant the keys here” and then he looks and sure enough, there are the keys. :slight_smile:

Zev Steinhardt

Think again. You’re violating Rule 101 and Rule 107 by treating as rule a rule-change which hasn’t been adopted yet.

Also, Rule 107, being immutable, overrides your proposed 303(8) and 304(10).

BTW, what are we all doing up at 1:45AM? :smiley:

Zev Steinhardt