Anyone for a game of Nomic?

Wait a minute.

What time zone are we using for the game?

And my email (also in my profile and current) is: heldenboy at aol dot com.

I propose that rule 105 be transmuted from immutable to mutable.

I hope I worded that right. I’ve never played formally like this before. Here’s why I made that Proposal. (We get to discuss this, right?)

I’ve played similar games like this before online, and I think what’s going to happen, because we’re playing online, is that eventually people will get busy and not be able to vote every turn. As the rules stand now, we have to wait for everyone to vote before we move on. I think we should include some means of letting people automatically abstain if they don’t respond after a certain amount of time. In order to do that, we’ll have to change Rule 105, which says, “Every eligible voter must participate in every vote on rule-changes”. But before we can change Rule 105, it needs to be made mutable. So, this proposal is intended to be the first step in allowing people to auto-abstain, or something.

I thought about that. You’ll notice, though, that nowhere in the rules is there required to be a time zone selected. I think that if anybody specifies any times in the rules, like “midnight”, they should say what time zone they’re referring to. Or someone can propose a rule that says all times are Central. Or something.

Also, zev, you should probably correct my name in the master list. You got all the letters right, but they’re out of order. :slight_smile:

I’m confused. Do we vote here, or on the website?

Just for the record, I vote YES on Proposal 301.

Hmmm, the rules don’t say how we vote. I also vote YES.

Until someone wants to propose something on the matter, you can vote either here or by sending me an email at nomic@izev.com.

Zev Steinhardt

I’ve been playing Agora Nomic for about a year and a half now. Agora is an email nomic that recently celebrated its tenth anniversary. Our archives are at www.escribe.com; search on “Agora.” I’ll watch the Straight Dope Nomic for a while, and provide a bit of coaching as necessary. If you all feel I’m providing too much coaching, that’ll be my cue to join.

Achernar and Mikie have pointed out the need for rules to define the voting procedure. Here’s where we get to the heart of Nomic: If the Rules don’t say how to do something that you think the Rules ought to say, go ahead and propose the rule change.

I agree. Sound reasoning. My vote will be YES, as well.

In addition, I’ve updated the site with the latest changes.

Zev Steinhardt

Proposals:

1. That we use Eastern Time (since zev, achernar and I are all in it)

2. That we develop some form of officially numbering proposals (there’s already been a 2, but no rule exists that I’ve seen for formally numbering them or that a number, once used, cannot be used again, or anything like that).

3. That we get this numbering system set in place soon.

4. A quorum be defined, for purposes of voting, as either a minimum number of people or a certain percent or both, or a combination of the two.

5. That we examine some formal system of scoring, assuming that’s something people are interested in.

Well, it doesn’t really make a difference. The one deadline that I mentioned without a time zone has already passed and any future ones will have a time zone attached to it. :slight_smile:

See Rule 108. If you want to ammend it, you can on your turn.

That is something that we need to define. Perhaps someone will suggest a rule… :slight_smile:

See Rules 202, 204, 206 and 208. Of course, the present system can be changed. That’s what this game is all about. :slight_smile:

Zev Steinhardt

Hey wait a minute. Why isn’t iampunha on the player list? And why didn’t he vote? :slight_smile:

He is on the list on the site. He hasn’t voted yet, however, on 301.

Zev Steinhardt

Ah, I must not have reloaded. Thanks.

I sent out emails to everyone who is playing. If you want to play but didn’t get an email from me, please email me at nomic@izev.com and I’ll add you to the list.

In the meantime, we’re waiting on votes on Proposed Rule 301.

Zev Steinhardt

I just emailed asking to be added to the game.

Instead of making 105 mutable and using up one of our mutable slots I would like ot suggest that we make an immutable rule that anyone not voting in 72 hours would be marked as abstaining and as such not be part of the unanimous or majority requirment.

But rule 105 says that every player must “participate”, which I personally think is not the same as effectively having a vote cast. And rule 110 says that an immutable rule takes precedence over a mutable one. But if people disagree with my interpretation, I’m willing to make that amendment to the proposal.

Inaction is still an action. It will keep people from running off to Oklahoma or New Mexico.

Granted I didn’t do an indepth study of the rules but I think you can make new rules immutable from the start as opposed to making a rule and then making it immutable later.

I don’t think so. Read rule 103. It says that all new rules are mutable.

Then I’ll vote yes on 301. We are going to have to make an adjustment to 103 later. I can kind of see how it implies new rules being mutable but it doesn’t quite state it. And with the 25 rule limit, I can see it being difficult to do much of anything in a round or two.

Well, we can change Rule 103. Eventually.