[QUOTE=The King of Soup]
Best of luck if you decide to do this, but you’d be a lot better off in a state where notaries are allowed to do weddings (there are only two, I think) which are easy and lucrative. Loan closings are the toughest and least remunerative jobs, and all failures on the part of anybody involved result in you not getting paid for several hours’ work and travel, much less your considerable expenses.
[/quote]
Coincidentally, I’m an ordained minister and I have 3 weddings under my belt (2 friends, 1 family member.) I told my wife today that I was contemplating putting an ad in the paper “Non-Religious/Alternative Religion weddings. Same Sex (ceremonies only)” - - or something to that effect. I have no idea what I could even charge for a wedding, though, and I’d hate to get stage-fright at the first wedding someone was actually paying me for!
[QUOTE=The King of Soup]
First of all, mostly you’ll be expected to receive via E-mail and print multiple copies of the loan documents yourself, to be sent back (at your expense if you’re not lucky enough to be given the title company’s UPS number) to the issuer. This will cost you a lot in printer cartridges even before it ruins your printer entirely, which will be soon. Second, you’ll get the documents roughly two hours after the very last deadline by which the closing company promised you’d get them. Don’t complain – they’re the ones who are paying you…maybe. After you find your way out to the buyers’ house (sure the dog bites, but at least they said he ain’t rabid), you get to go to work, which mainly will consist of telling the darling couple that you didn’t write the agreement and if they have questions they should call their agent (who didn’t show up) or the title company (which is in California and won’t open for two hours) or the underwriting bank (which won’t answer anything until the papers are signed). Two trips to Kinko’s (to receive more documents that weren’t included in the original batch) later, you get to sit down for two hours for the actual signing. Provided their witness(es) bothered to show up. After, you stagger to the UPS office to send off the docs and then home to E-mail and snail-mail your bill, and you hope they’ll pay promptly because, really, what the hell are you going to do if they don’t?
On the bright side, you can develop a sideline notarizing quitclaims and powers of attorney and wills for sick old people in nursing homes, which are a hundred times faster (and 200X more depressing), but at least you get paid then and there. Usually with an out-of-state check that you’ll find out if it’s any good two weeks from now when it clears.
[/QUOTE]
Wow. That’s a nitty-gritty description. What do you think of this Clurican?
King of Soup - were you a mobile notary at one point?
What else can notaries do?