Anyone here used a "concierge physician". Looks interesting!

I’m an independent contractor. I’m a pretty healthy person and my crap ass, sky high “Golden Rule” deductible plan costs more and more for limited benefits. (I’ve never even come within breathing distance of the $ 3500 deductible) Visiting the doctor is huge PITA waiting and time wasting wise. This looks interesting. Anyone used one of these “on call” doctors?

House Calls
Goodbye to long waits, inattentive physicians and all that. Special treatment can be yours—at a price

There was a doctor who moved down here and opened such a practice a year or two back, but I don’t know how it’s working out for her. She seems to be something of a loonie bird, based on her website, and I’d be afraid to go to her even if I could afford it. That’s just her, though.

If you’re pretty healthy and don’t have many medical expenses anyway, I don’t know that it would really pay off, economically. Near as I can tell, these fees don’t include medications, procedures, visits to the ER, hospitalization, etc, just office visits and phone consultations. That’s $5000 for one annual checkup, and a couple of illnesses a year, for the average healthy person. That’s one hellacious convenience fee. If you had chronic health problems that needed closer monitoring like the guy in the article, it might be a very cost-effective solution, though.

• I have not but I have read elsewhere of a small number of doctors in the US who have quit accepting all forms of medical insurance, and go to cash pay only. The article I saw did not say anything about them charging particularly high fees, but I guess if you can’t pay it, it’s too high. The reason they give is that they have found that they needed to retain large staffs just to process all the insurance paperwork, and since the amount they can make on each patient is limited by insurance policies, they have to schedule a lot of patients. As a result of that many felt that they never spent enough time with individual patients. Without the need to process private and public insurance paperwork, their staffs drop from 4-5+ people to just one, the patient load drops way down allowing better service with individual patients and the doctors often end up making nearly as much or more in income as before.
        ~

As someone without health insurance, I find the whole thing embarrasing. I can’t believe we live in a nation with such amazing richness that we can spend it on “consierge doctors”, but leave our working poor to have their small savings devestated by things like a bout of pneumonia.

But I gotta wonder about an eight hour physical. Thats something I’d pay a few thousands bucks to avoid. I think I’d also avoid the company of people so self-important that they feel they are too good to sit in a waiting room for a few minutes. I mean, whats wrong with the constitution of our nation when people go to doctors to “feel taken care of” instead of to get, you know, health problems addressed.

I think it’s just a case of people getting off by spending money.

Three hour physical - I’d expect it means some time on the treadmill, monitoring your heart and condition, things like that.

I invite you to wait four hours for a physician 8 and a half months pregnant. Though a number of smaller midwife practices (that I’m too “high risk” for) who do make house calls, and at insurance rate prices.

Everyone has to find the way to get along as best they can. So someone builds a better moustrap and you have to be the dog in the manger?

Preventative medicing saves a lot of money and lives every year - do a shred of research, buddy.

How is the view from that manger, sven?

No, she’s right about that bit. The article says the Cooper Clinic does 8-hour physicals, to the tune of $3000.

As for the dog in the manger comments, although I think the money comments are out of line, she does bring up some valid points. A whopping lot of people in this country go without the most basic healthcare–a criminally large number, imo. And the more doctors go into very small, limited-numbers practices like this, the fewer appointment slots there are for the rest of us. That just makes it even harder to get an appointment, makes for more urgent squeeze-ins that throw off the rest of the schedule and increase wait times, etc. So it’s not necessarily a better mousetrap at all.

I guess I was unnecessarily caustic with the money comment.

I’ve learned in my life that to many people the value of a thing is directly related to how much money they spent on. People will enjoy a $50.00 bottle of wine more than they enjoy the same wine at ten bucks. They will buy collectables- or antiques if they have more money- that have no practical value and are basically expensive because they are expensive. They will talk about their five hundred dollar a foot speaker cables. They will stay on the “consierge” level at Disney World, whoes main benefit is “free” snacks and sodas at double the room price. The mere act of spending money makes people feel special, important, powerful and safe.

Some people have learned to capitalize this by providing people with big oppertunities to spend massive amounts of money with very little real benefit- the diamond industry, the wedding industry, the fine vodka industry, etc. I think this is one of those things.

The purpose of insurance is to protect you against financial risk. For health insurance, we get way bogged down here in the US running every little expense through an insurance company. Definitely adds to cost and gums up the works, so to speak.

The thing you need to look into here is whether you will have coverage for something catastrophic that might happen. It doesn’t sound like it. That is the key to the value of health insurance - the heart attack, the transplant, the premature newborn. The rest is just customer service and feel free to pay a little more to get better service, but keep in mind the primary need to protect yourself against a catastrophic loss.