Anyone playing Fallen Earth (MMO)?

I just started this game yesterday, and I’m liking it so far. It’s an MMO set in a post-apocalyptic Arizona that seems kind of Fallout-ish.

Anyone else playing? Any tips? My character’s name is Adlai Grey.

Bumping this since it’s been a couple of days.

A couple of key points: it’s free to play, and it’s on Steam.

It’s the first MMO I’ve really enjoyed, and I’m hoping some other Dopers are on there!

I’m usually a thread-killer, so I hesitate posting so early, but: I bought it (back when you had to) and played right when it first came out, and played for a couple of months. I didn’t have any other friends playing, so I got bored and wandered on to other things (again, this was before free-to-play).

I enjoyed the different style, including the crafting, but never advanced all that far.

It’s free now? :::intriguided:::

I wanted to try it when it first came out, but my financial situation was dire. How does one obtain this, again? I am curious.

You can just go to the store page on Steam and download/install for free. When you first launch it, it’ll grab the most recent patches and give you instructions for creating an account.

I hope y’all like it. My cousin was the content designer, so of course I’m very proud :slight_smile:

I’m completely NOT a gamer, so I can’t speak to how it holds up to other similar games.

I’m three days in and I’m really liking it. I may subscribe in the near future, if I get the job I want.

The game has me hooked. I was hoping enough Dopers played to make a Clan, but that doesn’t look like the case.

What’s the difference between how you’re playing now and “subscription”?

And maybe a few of us will show up?

I’m playing free-to-play right now. If I go with a paid subscription, I can queue up crafting items instead of making them one at a time. Subscribers also accrue XP faster and I think harvest materials and craft items faster.

Crafting and resource gathering are far less annoying than in EVE Online. Essentially, if you put Fallout as an MMO and actually made all the garbage that you pick up useful, you get this game.

I played it for a few months back when it first opened.

It had some interesting ideas, and I liked the crafting system.

Part of what killed it for me was the staggeringly huge open world combined with (at the time) no fast travel system. I might want to play with a friend … but they’re on the other side of the map, and it will take hours to walk there. (Or I can take all the money and salvage I’ve gathered over the last month to fuel a moped to get there in 15 minutes instead). I understand that it makes sense in the context of the setting, but it really made it hard to enjoy the game as a social activity.

OK, I’ve downloaded it, made an account, patched, updated, and otherwise worked under the hood to get it going.

Am now slogging through the tutorial. I fight like an uncoordinated girl.

I have no idea if I’m on a PvP or some other sort of server, and hope I haven’t got myself into role-playing. Or do we choose that after the tutorial?

>bump<

Although I thought I would despise the combat system I’m beginning to like it. Maybe because it requires some skill, but unlike many first person shooters you’re not in constant combat.

Getting the hang of things. This may or may not apply to anyone else, but it’s sort of what I wish Guild Wars had been.

I seem to be leaning towards heavy crafting and scavenging.

I’m taking a break from WoW to play this, in part because I just need a change. I’ve been playing WoW nearly non-stop for 5 or 6 years now.

I’ve been playing less than I want to, but I have a newborn and a two-and-a-half-year-old, so they’ve been taking up all of my spare time.

If I get the job I want, I’ll be travelling with a work laptop that can run this game, and I’ll have tons of time to play.

wmulax93 I have a new distraction and it’s all your fault!

Actually, I’m having a great time. I see to be building a crafter/melee character. Look for the red head in the purple duster, that’s me.

What’s your name in there? I hang around between Embry and Old Kingman right now, as I’m still only Lv. 10. Look me up; as I said earlier, I play as *Adlai Grey.

Sier Tahn. If you’re wondering about the name, it’s the handle of my old Dungeons and Dragons character from waaaaaaaaay back in the late 1970’s.

I’m level 11 right now, which may jump soon because I’m on my “weekend” right now, but then I’ll have little time to play during my work week Thursday through Sunday.

Have to see if there’s a friends list. What time of day are you typically on? Or, as the mother of young offspring, are you hit and miss all over the place?

Given that a few people seem interested, I’ll try to resurrect my character tonight (I imagine I’ll have a ton of client downloading to do, since I haven’t played in about two years). At this point, I don’t even recall my character’s name.

Ahem. Father.

I’m between jobs right now, so I get on whenever I have a chance. Once I go back to work, it’ll probably be about 2100-0000, Arizona (Mountain Standard) Time.

My pardon, I don’t know why I guessed “mother”. Perhaps I should just stick to “parent” in the future…?:smiley:

Anyhow, you’re on my friends list now. To add someone type

/friend add [character name]

Also - Kolga, I’m not clear on how those “subscriptions” work, maybe you can help. It’s a monthly fee, correct? And if you stop paying it you drop back to free-to-play levels on everything, right? But do you retain the extra crafting queue slots, or is nothing permanently unlocked? Also, if you have a paid subscription, accumulate more than 10 red chips, then drop back to free to play what happens to the money over the chip limit for freebies? I’m getting conflicting information and thought, what with your family connections, you could set me straight.

Well, it looks like I done brought down the whole game. Gamersfirst is down (and has been for at least 30 minutes, as verified by 3rd party sites), and of course my newly-installed client won’t authenticate, what with them being down.

In other news: I thought it was forever ago that I had last played Fallen Earth; turns out it was two forevers ago (like 2009). It took a while to get my account transferred over from FallenEarth to GamersFirst (the new overlords), but I think it worked…OR it opened a black hole over Gamers First’s server farm.