Anyone reading Tom King’s Human Target? (DC Comic)

I’m reading on DC Universe Infinite. I have the premium membership, so I currently have access to books 1-8 and book 1 of Tales of the Human Target.

I’m loving this modern/throwback noir detective take on the DC characters. And the art is gorgeous. As usual King makes the characters his own, adding backstory, character traits, and incidents that perfectly fit the tone of the story but will certainly have vast legions of fans howling that he is “ruining”their heroes.

But I love it. It’s perfect noir balanced with considerable humor.

The general plot is that Christopher Chance (the Human Target) has 12 days to live and is using this time to try to find out who is responsible for his death. Each issue (book) covers one day. Tales of the Human Target is a companion series featuring vignettes that lead up to the main storyline.

Supporting characters include Fire and Ice, the Martian Manhunter, Booster Gold, the Blue Beetle (Ted Kord), Guy Gardner, Rocket Red, Doctor Mid-Nite, and Luigi the restaurateur.

Don’t want to say much more unless there are folks who want to discuss. Highly recommend. I hope this is collected in hardback. Definitely shelf-worthy.

Thanks! I loved KIng’s take on The Vision… new way of looking at things, and really made you think.

I love Tom King’s writing, but I stopped reading comics a couple of years ago. I’m waiting for a hardcover edition.

There’s supposed to be 12 issues, right?

Yep. It’s supposed to be done some time next spring, with a hardback to follow.

I signed up for DC Infinite Ultra, so I’ve read all the published issues online—Issues 1-9 and also Issue 1 of the companion series Tales of the Human Target. Absolutely terrific.

I’ve bought the hardback collection of 1-6.

Anyone reading this?

This is the saddest thing I’ve ever read.

Now, if you mean you’ve quit the “floppies” (individual issues) and only buy the collected compilations/graphic novels… then it’s less sad.

Although floppies are better for pulling out of a jacket pocket and reading in a coffee spot… (I even bought a jacket with 7x10" inside pockets!).