Anyone seen the Hulk cartoons from 1966?

“Tony Stark makes you feel
He’s a cool exec with a heart of steel…”

I liked these when I was a kid. I think it was Channel 11 from New York (which we got in South Jersey once we got cable) that ran them.

I was too young to understand that these were just the old comics with only minimal animation, but I did love those theme songs. (They stuck in my head so much that I recognized the in-joke in the Iron Man movie!) And yes, it is neat to see the old-style artwork from the masters–though when I watched a couple again as an adult, it cracked me up no end to see they’d helpfully put a sign on an old building reading, “OLD BUILDING.”

It was around this time that old-school (and I mean OLD-school) Nickelodeon was running a show called Video Comics–just the camera moving from panel to panel while actors read the dialogue. They focused on DC comics, with two editions–one for kiddie comics like Sugar and Spike, and one that focused on superheroes–no Supes, Bats, or Wonder Woman, but plenty of Green Lantern, the Flash, and Adam Strange, a little Swamp Thing, along with lesser-known ones like The Atom or Space Ranger, and some neat one-shot stories. So between the two, I got quite a background in classic comic books at the age of nine or so. Seems the only difference between the two was that Video Comics didn’t even PRETEND to be animated!

I remember a couple of cartoons about Captain America’s lost love from the war–they hadn’t even named her as Peggy or Agent 13 as Sharon by that point in the comics, and someone didn’t get the memo that Peggy was American, so for some reason the voice actress gave her a French accent. But as a girly-girl romantic, even at the age of eight or nine, I was captivated by the story and Cap’s longing for the girl in his past.

Fun fact: both Iron Man and the Sub-Mariner were voiced by the same guy, Canadian actor John Vernon (who played the Dean in Animal House and the Mayor in Dirty Harry.

The big yellow suit was the original one for about 10 stories in the books. I can’t remember episodes though.

I keep checking back, but no one’s found a link… sigh.

Nope. His original armor was a plain grey color. His second costume was the golden one.

Wasn’t it just the first story? I never read the strip but it never registered on me that the origin story had a different suit. I never thought the colors on the covers were supposed to be very accurate anyway, there’s always lots of lighting and shadows.

I love that the ulitimate 60s design was by steve ditko.

In the one I saw he only turned into the Hulk at night. He could take care of the Toad Men until the sun went down. If this came straight from a comic it was far inferior to Ol’ Greenskins’ encounter with the Toad Men from the seventies ( “Tell other Ugly-men to leave Hulk and Hulk’s friends alone…or Hulk will crush you like a bug!” ).

Apparently so. The grey suit was in the debut issue, March 1963. He wore the gold suit in the very next issue, April 1963. Tony Stark wanted to look less menacing to the public.

I wonder if it was because of the same issue that plagued the Hulk. He was originally grey, but the printer couldn’t deliver a consistent shade of grey, so he turned green.

I saw the 1960s Hulk cartoon (along with the Thor and Namor versions). It was extremely limited animation, made on a tight budget.

The marching at the end was a reference to the Merry Marvel Marching Society (Issues of Marvel comics sometimes had a little sign hidden on the cover “The MMS wants You!”)

http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/593/mmms-badge.jpg

Well, the cartoons didn’t alter the premise, so much as Stan Lee altered the premise. As mentioned, all of the “animation” for those series was taken directly from actual comic book panels. So if you saw it on the screen, it appeared in a comic book at some point.

It actually took a surprisingly long time for the comic to settle on the “Banner turns into the Hulk when he gets angry” paradigm. In the first couple of issues, the transformation was triggered by nightfall. Then he was shot into space, where he was hit with radiation from the Van Allen radiation belts, which changed him so that he was the Hulk permanently. But he had to obey any command given to him by Rick Jones (and could even receive those commands telepathically). That lasted maybe a single issue. Then they came up with the gamma gun, so that he could change back and forth whenever he wanted to. Then for awhile, he seemed to transform at random. Finally they settled on the anger thing.

It’s kind of funny, because you can see Stan trying all sorts of different approaches, struggling to see what worked best, until he finally settled on the anger thing.

I remember those cartoons very well. They were actually my first exposure to most of the Marvel characters. I saw the cartoons long before I ever started buying comic books. To a kid at that time (at least, to this kid), the limited animation wasn’t really all that annoying. I just enjoyed experiencing the stories.

If you really want to see these things, there are a ton of them on YouTube.

I saw them. The intro actually angered me a bit because, for some reason, it shows some tanks shooting and the Hulk’s fist crushes them… or rather some kind of cloth on which they apparently were displayed.

WTF?

I think this clip will have all of the themes in it.

I joined, and got the record etc. And I still look for my name in the books under new members listed. I must have already seen all the lists by now though. I still have the scratch pad with 10 leaves left or so.

It’s missing the Sub-Mariner, I think.

It was also the suit he wore when the Avengers first formed.

For a while when I was a kid the five Marvel shows were on after school. One hero per day. I tended to go out of my way for Thor and Iron Man. Everything else was fine if something better wasn’t happening.

I am not going to ruin the generally fond memories but looking at them again. :stuck_out_tongue:

Never heard the Hulk theme or saw the Hulk. They just never ever played them where I lived. We got some Sub-mariner, some Captain America, and a whole lot of Thor.

Spider-Man had his own standalone show.

You have a better memory than me. The Hulk and Cap were the themes I think are the best. Is that just me? Or were those just the ones I saw most? I don’t know.

Spider man and FF came on the next September, 1967. Spidey was monumental for me. That and Magical Mystery tour, and learning how to play cards, and Marvelous Land of Oz, the second book in the franchise, (with the boy named tip), were the big things that season.

Yeah, I forgot about the Fantastic Four – I saw those pretty often too. I think they may have had their own separate show, like Spider-Man, either that or they were co-featured with something else.