Anyone tried the ghost pepper donut from Dunkin'?

I like a nice healthy splattering of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce on my tacos and pizza. I order my hotwings “hot.” I get my Thai takeout “spicy” (maybe not “Thai spicy,” but “spicy” nonetheless). I enjoy a bit of horseradish on my beef and occasional grilled cheese.

But I’m wondering about this Dunkin’ ghost pepper donut. Now it is a cute little pink donut with sprinkles, but it’s got cayenne and ghost pepper. My 9-year-old daughter and I share an affinity for cute little pink donuts with sprinkles AND spicy capsaicin in our food, so I’m thinking about sharing one with her at some point in the next two months. So how bad will it hurt?

Probably not much at all. It’s rare to find legitimately spicy food at big chains. They go for mass appeal.

Honestly, the last two times I went to Dunkin’, they didn’t have anything other than about 10-12 glazed left. Admittedly, it was 2pm, but as inherent in their name change, they seem to be a lot more about selling their coffee and snacks, with the walls physically showing where they’d taken out half of their donut selection. Since I often work evening/nights, getting to Dunkin’ early enough to see if they have something cool to try is probably not in the cards. Let me know if you have one, because I personally love a sweet and spicy combo.
Especially any honey habanero hot sauce.

This.

Ghost peppers in real life are pretty damned hot. I had a microbrewery’s limited edition ghost pepper stout that they gave away at an event by the shot glassful.

Most people took a tiny sip, coughed/gagged/coughed some more then tossed away what was left. I managed to slowly sip three shots and was sick for two days.

I was going to go get me one today, but upon searching for the nearest Dunkin Donuts, I find the only one within 20 miles of me recently closed down.

So much for that I suppose. Would be interested in hearing someone else’s opinion after trying one.

I’m continually baffled by the trend of homeopathic hot peppers. The ads are always about “This has ghost peppers in it! Those are the hottest peppers evar!!!”, but how much ghost pepper does it have in it? Quantity matters. If they put one ghost pepper in the vat for making the sauce for ten thousand doughnuts, then you’re going to end up with a barely-perceptible spiciness, even though it is ghost peppers. And, OK, there’s a market in America for that (very low) level of spiciness, but if you’re going to make things that mild, why make it with ghost pepper, with all of the marketing that entails?

Boasting rights. “I had ghost peppers and I didn’t think they were that hot.”

For so-called boasting rights, you could stuff a fresh one in your mouth, chew it well, and swallow. Or eat it on top of a nuclear phall or something. However, peppers do have distinctive flavors in addition to “burning”, so it would make sense to use a small quantity if you wanted to make your dish taste like ghost pepper without overpowering it with way too much heat.

It’s still going to be pretty spicy, though, so, if you don’t like that but still want to taste anything, at some point you need to consider not using an exceptionally hot pepper.

I like spicy food as much as the next guy, but I’d be flabbergasted if a deep-pocket, family-friendly donut chain put anything more than a whiff of ghost pepper in its donuts.

It would just take one class action suit filed by ambulance-chasing attorneys representing irritable bowel syndrome patients too stupid to avoid things that are bad for them, getting a bad case of the pig squirts. No way would DD risk it’s bottom line like that. Litigious society = no risk/boring.

A little family run neighborhood restaurant in St Martin (French side) has fantastic food. They also have little cruets of salsa that are for islanders only. If you ask to try it, they explain that you wouldn’t like it, few islanders like it, it’s extremely hot.

One year a family asked and were told about the salsa, but the one daughter insisted that she loved hot stuff. They eventually gave in and let her try it.

I felt bad for her. At one point she was on the floor thrashing around, trying to breath. The other diners (50-50 local and tourists) just ate their meals, having overheard the warnings.

There are several videos on Youtube of people who eat a ghost pepper, and the aftermath. There’s one of a kid I felt sorry for, because he was goaded into it by an older brother. There’s another of a guy who brags that he can handle anything-- drinks hot sauce right out of the bottle, etc., etc. Ends with him deciding to go to the ER.

I’m fully prepared to admit that I hate hot peppers in any form whatsoever. I order food “not spicy,” and I have to be very careful to specify that I don’t just want them to lower the levels of all the seasonings-- I want them to leave out entirely anything with capsaicin. Sometimes I have to spell out what that means, and yes, I have sent back food that was still hot in spite of instructions to the contrary. If a restaurant can’t, or doesn’t want to make a dish mild, they shouldn’t offer.

And yes, I’m a supertaster, meaning I can taste that chemical on the paper they hand out in school biology classes. But I think there’s more to it than that. When food has capsaicin in it, it just burns. I can’t taste anything-- all I feel is the burning.

I haven’t tried it. However… I am prepared to offer a 9-1/2 minute long video review
of the donut. Right here:

Too late to edit:
8.5 out of 10 was the judgement.
He judged that the heat could be felt on contact, that it wasn’t too hot, that it was the hottest of the commercially marketed ghost pepper fast food items that he’s tried, and that it rates kind of like a hot wing sauce. Definately not a mild, according to The Report Of The Week- the dude above.

Did it burn your other end?

I recently got Ro-Tel Tomatoes with habaneros, and they were basically chopped tomatoes with little islands of ferocious heat. I check my labels a little more carefully now.

The other thing with all of these superpeppers is, there’s really not that much difference between them. A habanero is about a hundred times as spicy as a jalapeno: Now, that’s a significant difference. But a ghost pepper is, what, about twice as spicy as a habanero? So you could get the same effect just by using twice as many habs.

Reviewbrah never steers you wrong. I have this t-shirt of his. It’s accurate on way too many days.

I tried one of these a weekend or two ago. My sister insisted I have one after she’d tried one. She’s usually a lot more “tolerant” of hot spicy stuff than me. She claimed the donut wasn’t really hot while eating it but more left a hot feeling in her throat afterwards. My experience was different. I found it hot while eating it, but not intolerably so. I’ve had Wild Wings hotter than this, and I never go much higher than spicy garlic on their heat scale.

I don’t think I’d bother with another, if I wanted a hot donut, I’d just put some hot sauce on a krispy cream. Which I did do once, ages ago. Mind you I didn’t have terribly hot hot sauce, just normal franks or tobasco or something like that. Donut was okay, though.