Anyone use "The Ladders" for $100K job searches?

I’ve seen ads for a job board called “The Ladders” that claims to only do $100K/year and higher job postings. That is the range I would like to look in, but unlike Monster, Dice, and all the usual places, these guys want to charge both the person posting the job AND the one posting their resume. Naturally they claim they have exclusive job posting, etc., etc. that make them different. Anyone who wants to charge you to look at their postings once you give them a resume screams ‘scam’ to me. Has anyone used this site and found it worth the money? They want $144/year

These folks are not big fans
Their ad is …ummminteresting

It’s not much money if you make $100k a year.:wink:

The scam is after you do the free resume critique, they try to get you to sign up for the $600 resume overhaul. Screw that.

The jobs seem legitimate. At least as legitimate as any other job boards. And the fees probably help to weed out candidates who aren’t really in the $100,000+ salary range.

I joined, but it didn’t find me my current job - I did it the old fashioned way, by sending out a well-timed resume.

However, other people I know with 6-figure incomes swear by it.

It’s like all the other sites: what you get out is roughly equal what you put in. If you expect the site to get you a 6-figure job merely by posting your ASCII resume to it and waiting by your email account, you’ll be disappointed.

Astro, thanks for that link. I suspected there might be more to it after you post the resume. Msmith537 - yes it is cheap for a job over $100K, and I can afford it, but since they won’t let you see any of the actual postings until you pay them this fee, it’s not clear there is anything in my field, in my city, or with non-crappy companies that don’t otherwise cycle through employees with 300% turnover. I also wanted to make sure they were real jobs too. There are plenty of jobs out there that will say things like “You can earn up to $150,000 per year* (selling Amway/Primerica/Avon)”. So, I wanted to make sure I wasn’t both wasting time and throwing away money if they generate fake job postings, or they let any random company post something as a stupid come-on for sales people, who I gather are impossible to recruit in this economy.

No, they have plenty of “real jobs” in all sorts of fields: manufacturing, IT, general business, advertising and marketing, etc.

It definitely wasn’t a scam site with a bunch of “six-figure incomes merely by working at home 5 hours a week!” postings.

IIRC, it’s a $75 fee for a three-month membership. All the other stuff is extra, of course, but you really don’t expect to have your resume reviewed and, possibly, greatly modified and enhanced for free, do you?

I signed up for them, but they tease you with listings of jobs, then don’t give you the details. And I keep getting come-ons for expensive services I could do without, because I don’t have, y’know, a job.

I find them profoundly useless and annoying.

In my experience, a company that is really recruiting for an important, six figure job isn’t going to use the internet for the effort. If they must go outside the company to hire somebody at that level, they will often secure the services of a retained search consulting firm.

So, with that in mind, I would suggest becoming the favorite candidate of as many retained search recruiters as you can find. If the recruiter likes you, they will do all the resume tweaking and interview prep activities for you at no cost. They get paid a set fee regardless, so if they think you are the right fit, they will do everything they can to help you close the deal in order to pocket as much profit as possible.

That’s my take. I can’t imagine hiring folks at that level off a job posting site, but maybe I’m just old fashioned. :slight_smile:

I think you may be old fashioned in the sense that you think six figure salary jobs are all that important. There are a lot of IT, consulting, financial services, law, middle managent, sales and other jobs that pay over $100,000 a year, especially in large urban areas like NYC. They pay well, but in the grand scheme of the company they aren’t all that important.

I pay something like $20/month to access a law-specific job search site (Lawcrossing.com), and only some of the job postings were put there by the actual companies/lawfirms. Most have actually been found in other places and put on the site by the site itself. One company I applied at had never heard of lawcrossing.com and contacted them to take the ad down because it was super untimely. I pay the money to lawcrossing so I don’t have to scour thirty to forty different places to find a job listing. While some are scams and some are posted erroneously, there are still many jobs up there.

Granted, it hasn’t worked out well yet, but I have gotten several interviews through the site, while my law school’s career services office has done bupkis for me. I largely think the problem is my jurisdiction (Indiana) which doesn’t seem to have many available attorney positions at all. That’s why I’m intending to take the California bar exam this summer (bigger state, more jobs hopefully). Very “Tom Joad, Esq.” of me, I know, but I got to do something.

That’s a great point. I was just at my brother’s pre-freshman college orientation and the chemical engineering dept. head told me that their graduating seniors (with bachelor degrees) who are going to work for petroleum companies are seeing offers in the $90,000 range. Obviously those offers are coming from on campus recruiting not online job sites, but when your entry-level engineers make $90,000, you can’t treat all six figure positions as sacrosanct.

That’s the thing that bugs me about The Ladders: their marketing seems to be aimed at people who think that a six figure salary is a big deal in and of itself. But anyone who’s qualified for such a job probably doesn’t believe that. Who are they really targeting?

The real money in recruiting seems to be in finding people for companies, not finding jobs for people. Does The Ladders have a model to make money from companies posting jobs or searching its database?

Also, while $100K is not a big deal in the expensive major metros, if you have that salary outside of those areas you can have a pretty good quality of life. That leads me to think the market is either a) people in major metros where that’s basically the salary for a professional job or b) people in the rest of the country who optimistically think they can get a job in that range without moving to a major metro and spending it all on housing and/or commuting.